Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez – " Houston (Roost #44) We Have a Problem".
As most of you know, due to a lack of participation we won't be marching in the St. Patrick's Day Parade for the first time ever. It's obvious, like a lot of social organizations, our Roost Membership has been shrinking and getting older. At the same time, we are bringing in new members, but we often lose them after a year or two. What can we do to change things up? I would love to hear from new members about how we can get you more involved and if you have any ideas for new activities or programs or questions about the Roost. And long-standing members, are we missing something? Are there things we can do to get you more involved again? Please email me or any of the officers, your thoughts and ideas. My email is: email@example.com.
Let's make sure we have a great turnout for the Council Parade on June 2nd. Last year's award-winning Zombie Group was a blast.
The next Roost Meeting is at our regular meeting spot at OC 360 in the Fenwick Inn on April 12th at 7:30. At the meeting, we will have sign-up sheets for volunteers to work the Beer Booth at Springfest.
Remember that your Roost Membership card entitles you to a 20% discount on food, beverage & apparel purchases at the Original Greene Turtle (116th St.). We encourage all Roost members and committees to patronize the Original Greene Turtle!
Remember that we collect plastic grocery bags at every Roost meeting. These bags are used by Diakonia (Local Food Bank & Homeless Shelter) to distribute food contributions to the needy. My white Ford pickup truck is parked in front of OC 360 at every Roost meeting. Simply put your plastic bags (tied up tightly) in the bed of the truck. This is a great way to recycle plastic bags for a good cause.
· Dates to Remember:
o Tomorrow – Monthly Roost Meeting @ OC 360, 7:30pm.
o Friday, April 13 – Casino Trip to Harrington
o Friday, June 1 – Scholarship Golf Tournament
· Membership: Thanks to everyone that have paid their dues so far. For those that haven’t yet, bring them to the next meeting, or please mail them to me, Susan White, 32612 Falling Point Road, Dagsboro, DE, 19939. Please make all checks payable to Ravens Roost #44. Thank you.
· Convention: It's time to start thinking about this year's Convention and Parade to be held at the Castle at the Sand from May 31 to June 3, 2018. Registration is $60 per person. Your registration form and check (made out to Ravens Roost 44) need to be submitted to me by our April 12th meeting. There are separate forms and costs for children--if you need that information, please see me.
Commemorative shirts are also available. Color choices for men are: ash, purple and white for t-shirts and tank tops; ladies--gray, purple, and white for V-neck t-shirts or tanks, and ash and purple for hoodies. Costs are $11-16 for men's, $13-15 for ladies, and $22 to $28 for the hoodies. The Council is also offering moisture wick short-sleeve and long-sleeves shirts in white, gray and purple. The moisture wick short sleeve range is from $13 to $19 for short-sleeve and $16-$20 for long-sleeve.
This is an opportunity to get to know other Roosts and to get to know our own members better. We especially welcome our newer members to participate this year, and hope those who have attended before will come back. There are lots of activities during the weekend, including horseshoes, volleyball, a scavenger hunt, bingo, etc. More info on those will come at a later date.
I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have at the meeting, or any time. Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call me at 410-251-4360. Let's have as many of us as possible!
Thanks. Jo Ann Elder
· Harrington Trip: The Harrington Casino Trip is set:
o Departing: Montego Bay , Rose’s DE
o Cost: $20.00 per person, includes $15.00 free slot play and $7.00 towards lunch buffet
o Departing: Harrington at
o Please contact Mary Kendall to sign up, if you haven’t already participated need your name, birthday and where you will catch the bus. Email: email@example.com; Cell phone: 302-236–9617.
o Please make checks to Ravens Roost #44 and send checks to: Mary Kendall, 119 Pebble Drive, Dagsboro, DE 19939-9711 or you can pay at Roost meeting in March.
o UPDATE: Only two seats left!
· Apparel: 20th Anniversary Gear in Stock! There a few 20th Anniversary T shirts, Hoodies and Long Sleeve Shirts available in three colors - Black, Purple and Gray. Call me at 410-598-4597 if you're interested. Thanks, Eric.
o Tentative Entertainment Schedule 2018
§ April 13 – Harrington Bus Trip
§ May 3-6 – Springfest (Beer Truck)
§ May 31-June 3 – Council Convention
§ June 1 – Roost Scholarship Golf Tournament
§ June 2 – Convention Parade
§ July 14 – Annual Picnic
§ July 19 – Shorebirds Game - Shorebirds Event Thursday evening 7/19/18: $28pp (includes 2 hr. buffet, table/chair seating, giveaway visor & $2 pint cans)
There will be a signup sheet at the March meeting. We need at least 30 to signup + at least $250 deposit to book the event (Last year we had 53). Anyone who can write a check or cash for $28pp can help us get it started. Those who cannot attend the meeting please call Ron at 302-436-4790 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. There will also be a bus for an extra charge if we have enough interested.
§ September 15 – Crab Feast
§ October 27 – Halloween Bull & Oyster Roast
§ November ? – Harrington Bus Trip
§ December 7 – Christmas Party
o Potential Activities Under Discussion
§ Bus Trip to Canton
§ Duckaneer Cruise
§ Pub Crawl Kent Island
§ Eastern Shore Ghost Bus Tour
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but I do go Jamison Hensley’s Blog here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· All the best Orioles news notes and nuggets at Britt's Bird Watch here.
· Tonight - Winter Shopping Market - Shop Local Artists, The Shark on the Harbor Restaurant. Shop a selection of our area's talented local artists, boutiques and independent consultants! This reinvented event has become a locals tradition!
◦ Local Artists:
▪ Raye Gillette; Spontaneous Wax
▪ Jan Coulbourne; Green Street Gallery
▪ Stephanie Lambros; AroMerMade: Gemstone and Lava Stone Jewelry
▪ Julie Koermer; 2 U'nique Chicks: Jewelry Display, HOlders, Trophy displays and wreaths
▪ Jen Otto; Found & Handmade: Handpainted signs, art and wood and beat garlands
▪ Handmade by Carol Hritz: Jewelry, Bath & Body
▪ Tash Davis; Rooted: Organic Face Masks and other facial and body care products
◦ From Jody Kelly Wright:
▪ Organic Beeswax and Coconut Oil Candles
▪ Organic Beeswax and Coconut Oil Wax Melts
▪ Hand Stitched Greeting Cards
▪ Sea Stars – made from abandoned horseshoe crab tails
◦ Wine Tasting & Wine Sale – Featuring unique varietals. Taste wines with Clint "Big Daddy" Dempsey
◦ Dinner Specials:
▪ Wine and Small Bites
▪ 1/2 Price Bottles of Wine
▪ Full dinner menu also available
· Friday, Saturday, & Sunday - Home, Condo and Outdoor Show Plus Arts and Crafts Fair, Roland E. Powell Convention Center. Hundreds of pros offering thousands of ideas on decorating, remodeling, accessorizing and more! Compare and save; a must attend event for current and future homeowners. Arts & Craft Fair, artists and crafters will compliment the "Home Show" with exciting and creative gifts for you, your home and your outdoor living space. Admission: $7 for adults, $6 for seniors (55+). Students, 13 and under free. Military, Police and Fire free with ID. For more information, visit www.oceanpromotions.info or email email@example.com.
· Saturday - St. Patrick's Scramble, Eagle's Landing Golf Course. Entry Fee: $50 per player. The entry fee includes green fee, cart, lunch and prizes. Teams will play 6 holes from each Gold, White and Blue Tees. Teams choose the holes they play from each of the tees. 30% of the team’s average handicap will be used. Players may find that their ball lands in a clover. If so this player’s team is truly lucky because their ball will be deemed holed! Lunch will be served immediately following play. The menu includes many Irish American favorites. Gross and Net prizes will be awarded to the winning teams. Call the Pro Shop at 410-213-7277 to sign up.
· Saturday - St. Patrick's Day Parade & Festival - Everyone Loves To Be Irish, Coastal Highway from 57th Street to 45th Street. Much anticipated Ocean City event! Everyone loves to be Irish at Ocean City's famous parade. Marching units, floats, local celebrities. The Parade procession begins at noon at 57th Street and marches south on Coastal Highway to the 45th Street Shopping Center where the viewing and judging stands will be located. At the 45th Street Village, a fun Irish-American festival is held with food, drink and merriment. 11am - 3pm. Trophies will be awarded for best marching band, best commercial float, best non commercial float, best motorized unit, best adult marching unit, best youth marching unit, special committee award, judges' choice award and best overall entry in the parade. The 45th Street Shopping Center will once again be transformed into a spirited Irish festival complete with live entertainment from Kevin O'Brennan and the Shoreline Band, Irish apparel, raffles and plenty of food and drink. For more information, contact Buck Mann at 410-289-6156.
· Me: What's the wifi password?
Bartender: You need to buy a drink first.
Me: Okay, I'll have a coke.
Bartender: Is Pepsi okay?
Me: Sure. How much is that?
Me: There you go. So, what's the wifi password?
Bartender: "You need to buy a drink first". No spaces, all lowercase.
· How do you make a blonde laugh on a Sunday? Tell her a joke on a Wednesday.
· Got poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.