Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez – At the last Roost meeting, the membership approved a recommendation by the Board to make a donation to Operation We Care. For those of you who weren't there, I thought it would be valuable to tell you a little about this organization. Operation We Care sends packages of food, sanitary items, snacks, disposable razors and many other items to our troops overseas. It is truly a worthy cause. If anyone has had friends or family deployed, you know how much these packages can mean. One thing I learned when I was shipping packages to a cousin deployed, was that troops love hot sauce to spread over their MRE's. You can learn more about the organization by going to their website www.operationwecare.org; like them on Facebook or call Jeff Merritt 410-713-8940. There is also a Donation Box at the Ocean City Post Office on 71-72 St. to make donations year round. Or you can send financial contributions directly to Operation We Care, Inc., 829 E. William St., Salisbury, MD 21804.
Remember that your Roost Membership card entitles you to a 20% discount on food, beverage & apparel purchases at the Original Greene Turtle (116th St.). We encourage all Roost members and committees to patronize the Original Greene Turtle!
Remember that we collect plastic grocery bags at every Roost meeting. These bags are used by Diakonia (Local Food Bank & Homeless Shelter) to distribute food contributions to the needy. My white Ford pickup truck is parked in front of OC 360 at every Roost meeting. Simply put your plastic bags (tied up tightly) in the bed of the truck. This is a great way to recycle plastic bags for a good cause.
· Dates to Remember:
o Thursday, May 31 thru Sunday, June 3 – Council of Ravens Roost Annual Convention
o Friday, June 1 – Scholarship Golf Tournament
o June 6 - Entertainment Meeting, 5:30pm, at the Original Greene Turtle.
· Membership: Thank you everyone for paying your yearly dues. As of today we have 124 members in our Roost, I am still accepting dues. Susan White, 32612 Falling Point Road, Dagsboro Delaware 19939.
· Convention: Advanced convention registration closed, but members that want to attend can still register, it’s just too late to get a goodie bag. You can even register at the convention if you want. If you are still interested, contact Jo Ann @ firstname.lastname@example.org. We have 22 members going to the convention.
· Convention Parade: We have 27 people signed up for convention parade, and can’t accept any more since we need at least 75% of our participants to be registered for the convention.
We have booked the Tram, and Susan White will be taking care of everything the day of the parade.
We will be wearing the Roost Hawaiian Shirts and your lower portion of your body should be either khaki or white shorts, Capri’s or such. Shoes would prefer closed shoe since I don’t want anyone tripping or falling in flip flops or sandals please. We have a total of 7 participants that do not have the roost Hawaiian shirts and are looking for loaners for the participants. If you have a loaner please contact myself or Susan White; If you can loan a shirt please put your name inside your shirt using painters or masking tape so we can make sure you get your shirt back.
The Theme for the parade is “Riding the Wave to Ravenstown”. We are looking for surfboards and boogie boards, including any beach related items to help compliment the theme. And you can wear anything that would complement this theme of riding the wave.
We have ordered purple “grape” salt water taffy to give away.
Meeting at tram at 8am at Tram Hub - it is adjacent to the Oceanic Motel at the inlet. The address is 703 South Philadelphia Avenue, the tram building is on the left just before the inlet. If you have any questions, or if you signed up and have changed your mind please let us know as quickly as possible.
Best Regards & Have a Great Day, Mary Kendall. Email: email@example.com
· Road Trip: Bus Trip to Charlotte: We need more people to sign up to ride the bus otherwise the bus will be cancelled. People who still want to go will be responsible for their own transportation. We had 6 people drop out so now we only have 24 bus riders, and we can't afford the bus with so few riders.
If we have to cancel the bus, we will still have the trip, but I need to know ASAP who still wants to go in case we don't have a bus. I have to let the hotel know how many rooms to hold.
The hotel is the Doubletree Uptown, $162 for a king, $172 for two doubles. This includes a full hot breakfast.
My # is 410.627.7697 call or text, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Apparel: 20th Anniversary Gear in Stock! There a few 20th Anniversary T shirts, Hoodies and Long Sleeve Shirts available in three colors - Black, Purple and Gray. Call me at 410-598-4597 if you're interested. Thanks, Eric.
· Scholarship Golf Tournament: Ravens Roost 44 Scholarship Golf Auction: We are offering a "Buy it Now" item to the General Membership. 2 tickets to the Freeman Stage "Simply Diamond" performance. A preeminent Neil Diamond Tribute. Performance date is Saturday June 23rd at 7pm. Package will include 2 Center Stage Sponsor Chairs 7th row or better. Also, Sponsor Gate Admission as well as Sponsor Deck Access is included. Value $75. Buy It Now for $60. Two packages are available. If interested call Marc Grimes at 302-222-0159.
o Tentative Entertainment Schedule 2018
§ May 31-June 3 – Council Convention
§ June 1 – Roost Scholarship Golf Tournament
§ June 2 – Convention Parade
§ June 6 - Entertainment Meeting, 5:30pm, at the Original Greene Turtle.
§ July 14 – Annual Picnic
§ July 19 – Shorebirds Game - Shorebirds Event Thursday evening 7/19/18: $28pp (includes 2 hr. buffet, table/chair seating, giveaway visor & $2 pint cans)
The status is that we have 32 signed up ( + actually 2 bus drivers that we pay for food only for them). Of the signees 26 have paid, I have now booked it with a deposit and we are good to go. But we still need some more to sign up - especially for the bus because with 19 bus riders the cost pp would be about $10. Let’s get some more for a safety valve and lower bus costs.
§ September 29 – Crab Feast
§ October 27 – Halloween Bull & Oyster Roast
§ November ? – Harrington Bus Trip
§ December 7 – Christmas Party
o Potential Activities Under Discussion
§ Bus Trip to Canton
§ Duckaneer Cruise
§ Pub Crawl Kent Island
§ Eastern Shore Ghost Bus Tour
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but I do go Jamison Hensley’s Blog here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· All the best Orioles news notes and nuggets at Britt's Bird Watch here.
· Today - Canadian Forces Snowbirds Jet Demonstration Team - A Free Air Show Featurette, OC Events. The Canadian Air Force Snowbirds will take to the sky over Ocean City, Maryland, Wednesday, May 23rd for a special air show featurette. The Snowbirds nine aircraft demonstration will include close proximity formation passes and aerobatics bringing thrilling performances to the North American public. Serving as ambassadors of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF), the Snowbirds demonstrate the high level of skill, professionalism, teamwork, discipline and dedication inherent in the men and women of the CAF and they inspire the pursuit of excellence.
The performance will take place over the Atlantic Ocean centered on 3rd Street and the Beach. Guests may view the aerial demonstration between the Inlet and 13th Street with optimal viewing between 1st Street and 5th Street.
The demonstration will last approximately 40 to 50 minutes and is subject to weather. A public meet and greet opportunity will be announced on the Town of Ocean City website once plans are solidified.
· Tonight - The Broadway Jukebox | A Musical Cabaret - Brown Box Theatre, Roland E. Powell Convention Center. With almost 30 Broadway songs to choose from, each performance of The Broadway Jukebox is unique, changing based on the selections made by that evening’s audience. Upon arrival, each audience member votes for their top three choices from a series of different musical theatre categories, including “The Golden Age,” “Contemporary Musicals,” “Disney on Broadway,” and more.
Brown Box will curate each night’s show on the spot in this interactive, family-friendly evening, where we perform what the audience considers to be the best of Broadway.
Tickets: $15; Doors Open at 7:30pm.
· Friday - Summer Kickoff In Ocean City with Governor Larry Hogan and Mayor Rick Meehan, Somerset Street and the Beach. Ocean City, Md., is celebrating the beginning of summer 2018 by bringing back a ceremonial summer kickoff event, which first took place more than seven decades ago. In 1946, Maryland Gov. Harry O’Connor joined Ocean City Mayor Daniel Trimper Jr. to officially start the summer season in Ocean City by placing an umbrella in the sand. Now, almost 75 years later, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan will join Ocean City Mayor Rick Meehan to reestablish the ceremonious event by placing the first umbrella of the season on Ocean City’s beach on Friday, May 25 at 11 a.m.
During the event, Gov. Hogan and Mayor Rick Meehan will provide remarks about the significance of the event and what it means for Ocean City and the town’s visitors. Mayor Meehan will also speak about upcoming events and other highlights that vacationers can enjoy this year, starting this Memorial Day weekend.
· Friday thru Labor Day - OC Beach Lights Spectacular - Lasers, lights, video, music and special effects, The Beach at North Division Street. Returning to Ocean City this summer is the fun and exciting free event for the entire family, OC Beach Lights Spectacular!
Beach Lights will begin Memorial Day weekend and run nightly through Labor Day from 9pm to 11pm. Special 3-minute displays at 9:00pm, 9:20pm, 9:40pm, 10:00pm, 10:20pm, 10:40pm, and 11:00pm.
This lighting attraction features high-powered searchlights that accent the sky and surrounding area around N. Division Street and the Boardwalk. Searchlights move and sway, creating a dance of light to musical selections played through boardwalk speakers. The lights change into a variety of colors, bathing the surrounding beachscape and boardwalk in vibrant colors.
· Saturday & Sunday -Spring Arts & Crafts Show, Ocean City Maryland Convention and Visitors Bureau. Ocean City's only Memorial Day weekend craft show, featuring vendors displaying garden accessories, jewelry, candles, florals, nautical items, wood crafts & homemade items. Also, handmade chocolates, fudge, and dip mixes.
For more information, contact Janice Cropper at 410-213-0735 or email@example.com. Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Sunday 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. FREE ADMISSION.
· Saturday -Rescues Rock the Runway Pet Expo & Fashion Show - Benefits Homeless Pets of Worcester County, Ocean City Convention Center. Pet Threadz invites you to a PET EXPO & FASHION SHOW, "Rescues Rock the Runway", on May 26, 2018, from 12pm to 4pm. All funds raised from this event will go towards the homeless pets of Worcester County. Expo includes pet vendors, informational seminars, and the main event - A fashion show for you and your furbaby!! Event admission is a minimum $10 donation or pet supplies towards the humane society. This donation includes all seminars and entry for your furbaby to the main event - a Fashion Show for all types of pets. So bring your pet for a fun-filled day of shopping from top designers, free stuff, and prizes!!
For more information or to sign up to be a vendor, call 443-955-0904 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
· A little girl and boy are fighting about the differences between the sexes, and which one is better. Finally, the boy drops his pants and says, “Here’s something I have that you’ll never have!” The little girl is pretty upset by this, since it is clearly true, and runs home crying. A while later, she comes running back with a smile on her face. She drops her pants and says, “My mommy says that with one of these, I can have as many of those as I want!”
· Got poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.