Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez – The September Roost meeting will be moved to September 6, since the Ravens will be in Cincinnati on our normally scheduled meeting day. Remember you can go straight into our meeting room and order food. You don't have to go to the bar to order food and drinks.
Marc Grimes is stepping down as Chairman of the Golf Scholarship Committee. I would like to begin a discussion with Roost members who would like to try to continue the Roost #44 Golf Scholarship event, about whether we will continue to host this event. Whatever, we decide, every Roost member should give Marc a great big 'Thank You' for his years of building this event into one of Ocean City's major fund raising events. I personally hope we can carry on Marc's legacy and continue the tournament and the funds it generates for outstanding local graduating seniors.
Please think about stepping up to volunteer for Board and Officer positions and the Golf Scholarship Committee next year. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the responsibilities for any of these positions. or 410-598-4597.
Remember that your Roost Membership card entitles you to a 20% discount on food, beverage & apparel purchases at the Original Greene Turtle (116th St.). We encourage all Roost members and committees to patronize the Original Greene Turtle!
Remember that we collect plastic grocery bags at every Roost meeting. These bags are used by Diakonia (Local Food Bank & Homeless Shelter) to distribute food contributions to the needy. My white Ford pickup truck is parked in front of OC 360 at every Roost meeting. Simply put your plastic bags (tied up tightly) in the bed of the truck. This is a great way to recycle plastic bags for a good cause.
· Dates to Remember:
o 9/5 – Entertainment Meeting
o 9/6 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 9/12 – Booze Cruise
o 9/29 – Roost Crab Feast.
o 10/17 – Pizza Benefit
o 11/? – Harrington Bus Trip
o 12/7 – Roost Christmas Party
· Membership: Thank you everyone for paying your yearly dues. I am still accepting dues. Susan Berterman, 32612 Falling Point Road, Dagsboro Delaware 19939.
· Road Trip: Bus Trip to Charlotte: Trip to Charlotte finalized, all rooms are booked, tickets ordered. Panthers’ ticket office says the tickets will be ,ailed out “sometime” in August. Marian is working on securing a place to go after the game to celebrate our win. Positive thinking! Thanks, Donna.
· Apparel: 20th Anniversary Gear in Stock! There a few 20th Anniversary T shirts, Hoodies and Long Sleeve Shirts available in three colors - Black, Purple and Gray. Call me at if you're interested. Thanks, Eric.
· - Friday, October 12th - Monday, October 15th, 2018. Package for two includes: Friday and Saturday stay, Sunday is complimentary. Breakfast buffet in the Beach House restaurant on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Tailgate Party, Eastern Shore style, Saturday on the Coconuts patio. Rates starting at $325 for two guests.
· Ticket Exchange:
o 2 Raven PSL's in section 503 isle seats for sale, negotiable. He can be reached at 410-913-4700. (Chad Baker)
o I would like to sell the following games. Bucks vs Ravens December 16 and Browns vs Ravens December 30. There are two seats Section 101, Row 32 seats 20 and 21. Visitors side the sunny side. Asking for face value for the tickets. Must buy both. Please call Marius Ambrose at 302-947-4168.
o I have 2 tickets for sale for the Ravens vs Buccaneers game on Sun. 12/16 @ 1pm. Seats are in Sec. 103, Row 32, seats 10 & 11. Face value of $146/each. Let me know if you are interested. Gary Miller
· Penguin Swim: AGH Website is up and the OC Ravens Roost #44 Penguin Swim Team page is ready to register those wanting to join the Team. Go to "" to register and donate. See Gary at the Aug. meeting for more info.
Our Annual Bar Hop Cruise (Booze Cruise) is scheduled for Wed. Sept. 12th. $35/pp includes boat ride to 3 waterfront bars, (1st stop is the Reel Inn, 2nd stop is Sunset Grill, and 3rd stop is Mad Fish). HH prices at each, cash bar on board the boat and 5 raffle tickets for prizes at each stop. Meet at MR Ducks (HH prices till 6pm), board The Explorer at 5:45, Depart at 6pm. Return to MR Ducks about 10:15 pm. Cash or check made out to OC Ravens Roost #44. Contact Gary for tickets at or sign up at the August meeting.
Fundraising Night at the new Fox's Pizza Den in West OC (in the new SC next to Home Depot and the new Michael's) on Wednesday Oct. 17th, 4pm to 7pm. 15% of your food bill will be donated to the OC RR44 Penguin Swim Team in support of AGH.
o Tentative Entertainment Schedule 2018
§ Entertainment Committee Meeting September 5 @ the Original Greene Turtle, 12pm. We are looking for Roost T Shirts as donations for a Roost quilt to be auctioned off at Christmas Party.
§ September 29, 12pm – 3pm – Crab Feast. Marian will have a sign-up sheet at tonight’s meeting. All you can eat crabs, fried chicken, corn on the cob, hush puppies, soft drinks, and Miller Lite and Coors Light draft. $36pp, and that includes all taxes and gratuities. Marian will be accepting checks only, no cash, made payable to Ravens Roost #44.
§ November ? – Harrington Bus Trip
§ December 7 – Christmas Party. A signup sheet will be distributed for all members who think they will attend if they do not have a conflict that prevents it. We need a head count to start planning with the venue beginning next Monday.
o Potential Activities Under Discussion
§ Bus Trip to Canton
§ Duckaneer Cruise
§ Pub Crawl Kent Island
§ Eastern Shore Ghost Bus Tour
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but I do go Jamison Hensley’s Blog here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· All the best Orioles news notes and nuggets at Britt's Bird Watch here.
· Now thru Labor Day - - Lasers, lights, video, music and special effects, The Beach at North Division Street. Returning to Ocean City this summer is the fun and exciting free event for the entire family, OC Beach Lights Spectacular!
Beach Lights will begin Memorial Day weekend and run nightly through Labor Day from 9pm to 11pm. Special 3-minute displays at 9:00pm, 9:20pm, 9:40pm, 10:00pm, 10:20pm, 10:40pm, and 11:00pm.
This lighting attraction features high-powered searchlights that accent the sky and surrounding area around N. Division Street and the Boardwalk. Searchlights move and sway, creating a dance of light to musical selections played through boardwalk speakers. The lights change into a variety of colors, bathing the surrounding beachscape and boardwalk in vibrant colors.
· Tonight - - Carousel Resort Hotel and Condominiums. Enjoy free movies on the beach in Ocean City Maryland every Wednesday from June 6 to August 29 at the Carousel Hotel on 117th St. in Ocean City MD. Each week, a general audience movie is presented free of charge on our 16 foot projector. Bring a beach chair or blanket & enjoy the night beside the ocean. Movie starts at dusk. For more information, call 800-626-2326.
Save the Date - Complete Season Schedule:
o August 15: Cars 3
o August 22: Moana
o August 29: Wonder Woman
· Tonight – Freeman Stage @ Bayside - BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet, 7pm, Free. For the past 40 years, BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet has made some of the most potent and popular Cajun music on the planet. Born out of the rich Acadian ancestry of its members, and created and driven by bandleader Michael Doucet’s spellbinding fiddle playing and soulful vocals, BeauSoleil is notorious for bringing even the most staid audience to its feet. The Grammy Award winner's distinctive sound derives from the distilled spirits of New Orleands jazz, blues rock, folk, swamp pop, Zydeco, country and bluegrass, captivating listeners across the world. BYOC- Bring Your Own Chair. Children age 12 & under must be accompanied by an adult.
· Tomorrow - , S. Division St. & the Bay. Enjoy free concerts in Ocean City Maryland in Sunset Park every Thursday in July and August from 7pm - 9pm. Sunset Park Party Nights provides a perfect outdoor setting overlooking the bay in Ocean City MD. Bring a chair and watch the sunset as you listen to great live music. Sunset Park is located along South Division Street between Philadelphia Avenue and the Bay, next to the US Coast Guard Station in downtown Ocean City MD. All concert admissions and parking are free and open to the public. Beverages, including beer, are available for purchase. Please bring your own chair.
o Aug 16 - Tranzfusion (Classic Rock)
o Aug 23 - The Beach Bumz (Tropical Rock)
o Aug 30 - The Swell Fellas (R&B / Funk / Soul)
For more information, call 410-289-7739.
· Tomorrow - , Ocean Pines Association Inc
o Aug 16 – Prime Time
o Aug 23 – Opposite Directions
Bring lawn chairs and the whole family for an evening of music in White Horse Park. BYOB allowed. Concessions will be available. Concerts are children friendly: there is a playground right at the park! Free Admission!
· Tomorrow – Freeman Stage @ Bayside - VOODOO THREAUXDOWN featuring Trombone Shorty & Orleans, 5:30pm, $50-$85. The City of New Orleans, one of America’s most unique and diverse cities, celebrates its 300th Anniversary in 2018. To celebrate his hometown's tricentennial, its rich cultural heritage, and the bright future of its music, Trombone Shorty has handpicked an all-star line-up of Crescent City musicians to tour the nation as “Trombone Shorty’s Voodoo Threauxdown.” Headlined by Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, the touring street party also features Galactic, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and New Breed Brass Band, plus special guest appearances Cyril Neville and Walter Wolfman Washington. For more information, visit . Gates open at 4:30pm for this performance. Tickets required for all patrons, including infants and toddlers. No re-entry permitted. Seats are provided in assigned seating section. Seats are not provided or permitted in Standing Room Only section.
· Tomorrow thru Saturday - , Bahia Marina. The Poor Girls Open is a ladies only billfish release tournament benefiting breast cancer research. There are also added entry levels for tuna and dolphin. This tournament was started by Capt. Steve Harman as a way for local waitresses and bartenders to have an affordable and fun competition while raising money for a very important cause. The tournament continues to grow with over 100 boats entering. Participation is not limited only to anglers as there are silent auctions, 50/50 tickets, T-shirts for sale, and other fun events helping to raise money for breast cancer research. In the past 3 years alone, the Poor Girls Open has raised over $100,000 that was donated to the American Cancer Society. Each angler or team may fish one out of three days.
· Friday – Freeman Stage @ Bayside - Step Afrika!, 7pm, Free. Step Afrika! is the first professional dance Company in the world dedicated to the tradition of stepping. The company began in 1994 as an exchange program with the Soweto Dance Theatre of Johannesburg, South Africa and has expanded to become an international touring Company presenting performance, residencies and workshops worldwide.
Today, the Company continues to promote an appreciation for stepping as a contemporary dance genre and its use as an educational, motivational and healthy tool for young people. Step Afrika! accomplishes this mission through arts education activities, international cultural exchange programs and performances. We believe that the values of teamwork, discipline and commitment are essential to success in stepping and throughout life. We structure our performances and educational programs to connect intimately with our audience and create a positive influence on students’ lives.
Over the past 19 years Step Afrika! has grown to become one of the top 10 African American Dance Companies in the US and the largest African American led arts organization in Washington, DC. Each year, the Company performs in 10 countries for more than 50,000 people and touches 23,000 youth through its arts education programs. Step Afrika! gets people moving — towards college, towards a greater appreciation for the arts and towards a better understanding of each other.
This engagement of Step Afrika is made possible through the Special Presenters Initiative program of with support from the National Endowment for the Arts and the BYOC- Bring Your Own Chair.
· Saturday – Freeman Stage @ Bayside - Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox, 7:30pm, $30-$50. Since 2009, Postmodern Jukebox has amassed more than 740 million YouTube views and 2.7 million subscribers, chalked up more than 1 million likes on Facebook; performed on Good Morning America; topped iTunes charts with all 14 of their releases since 2014; caught the attention of NPR Music and NBC News and played hundreds of shows to sold-out houses around the world.
Their album "The Essentials for Concord Records," includes the song that put the band on the map, a vaudevillian distressing of Macklemore & Ryan Lewis’ “Thrift Shop,” and their ‘50s doo-wop version of Miley Cyrus’ “We Can’t Stop,” which garnered more than 19.5 million views and was named one of the “9 Best Viral Cover Videos of 2015” by People magazine.
This performance will offer limited Premium Assigned Seating tickets and General Admission tickets. Tickets are required for all patrons, including infants and toddlers.
· Sunday - , Somerset Plaza between the Boardwalk and Baltimore Ave. Enjoy viewing classic cars while listening to live music in Ocean City Maryland. OC Cruzers will display approximately 15 vehicles along Somerset Street Plaza. The owners of the vehicles will supervise and educate spectators about their older cars. Live music or DJ will be provided. Select Sundays 2:30pm to 6pm. For more information, call 410-289-7739 or visit . Music Schedule TBA.
Save the Dates:
· Sep 9, 23
· Sunday - - Northside Park. Sundaes in the Park is the ultimate free family event in Ocean City Maryland. Outdoor live music, children's activities, ice cream and fireworks provided every Sunday from 7pm - 9pm during the summer. Fireworks start at 9pm. What could be better?
Bring your picnic basket and beach chairs to Northside Park, located at 125th Street and the Bay for ice cream sundaes, live entertainment, children's activities and fireworks. All entertainment is free. Create your own ice cream sundae with delicious toppings for a small price. Listen to your musical favorites and watch the sunset over the beautiful Ocean City bay. For more information call 410-250-0125.
Summer 2018 Schedule - Save the Dates!
o August 19 - Jesse Garron's Tribute to Elvis
o August 26 - Ragdoll (Frankie Valli Tribute)
o September 2 - Triple Trail Turn (modern country)
· Sunday – Freeman Stage @ Bayside – SOJA, 7pm, $45-$65. With special guest ! Nearly two decades ago, SOJA began as high school friends in a Washington, D.C. area basement teaching each other to be musicians and play roots reggae music. Today, the two-time Grammy-nominated eight-piece band, with over 7 million online followers and over 300 million Youtube views, headlines concerts all over the world for their massive dedicated fanbase. Even with their continued success, SOJA always wants to remember their time together in that basement inspired by each other’s contributions and ideas.
Tickets required for all patrons, including infants and toddlers. No re-entry permitted. This performance will feature standing room only in front of the stage. Prefer to sit? Upgrade your experience to our limited VIP premium assigned seating on raised platforms to the left and right of the stage; or you can still bring your own chair and sit in the designated area in the rear of the venue. We will also utilize a large LED screen during this performance as an enhanced viewing option for patrons.
· Monday & Friday - The Beach on 27th Street. Enjoy free movies on the beach at 27th St. in Ocean City Maryland every Monday and Friday from June 25 to August 17. Each week, a general audience movie is presented free of charge on our 16 foot projector. Bring a beach chair or blanket & enjoy the night beside the ocean. Movie starts around 8:30 p.m. For more information, call 410-250-0125.
Save the Date - Complete Season Schedule:
o August 17: CoCo
· Tuesday - , On the Beach at the Caroline Street Stage. Let's Dance! Bring the family for a fun, free dance party every Tuesday from 8pm - 9:30pm during July and August on the beach at Caroline Street in Ocean City MD. Family friendly dance music will be played by local Ocean City DJs on the Caroline Street Stage, just off the Ocean City Boardwalk. Join in the crowd dancing on the beach! Bring your friends, beach chair and blanket and head to downtown Ocean City Maryland for good music and fun times.
o August 21: DJ Batman (OC's Legendary DJ)
o August 28: Bitsune (European DJ Duo)
For more information, please contact the Ocean City Recreation and Park Department at 410-250-0125 or the Ocean City Visitors Cener at 800-626-2326. Please consider using public transportation as parking is limited in the downtown area.
· To the thief who stole my pillow, know this: I will not rest until I find you.
· Never take a nail to a bar. They tend to get hammered.
· Got poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.