Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez –
I was just informed yesterday evening by email, that the Manager of 360 decided to have an off site Christmas event for the hotel staff on Thursday, December 13, the date of our next Roost meeting. I contacted the hotel staff person and expressed our extreme unhappiness with this last minute change. We have no other choice at this late date but to have our meeting held the next day, Friday December 14 at 7:30. Sorry for this last minute change!
ROOST 44 QUILT RAFFLE
If you haven't already purchased raffle tickets for the beautiful handmade Roost quilt that Martha Worthington made, please contact Donna Chaplinski 410-627-7697 or myself at 410-598-4597 as soon as possible. The tickets are only $5.00 and only 300 will be sold. This is the one fund raising effort for the Roost in 2018. We could use more volunteers to help sell the tickets ASAP!
Bob Monroe was selected as Chairman of the Nominating Committee at the November Roost meeting. In accordance with the By Laws, Bob will select two members to comprise the Nominating Committee. A proposed slate of officers and Board members will be presented at the December 14 Roost meeting. Nominations can also be made from the floor at the meeting. The following positions are vacant:
Chairman of the Board - 3 year term
Board Member - 3 year term
Board Member - 2 year term
Board Member - 2 year term
If you are interested in running for any of these positions, please contact Bob at 410-446-7422 or email . We would really like some newer members to step up and provide leadership for the Roost. Nominations will be closed at the December meeting and the election will be held at the Roost Meeting on January 10, 2019.
As you probably know, after many years of leading our Scholarship Committee that provides thousands of dollars each year through our Golf Tournament, Marc Grimes is stepping down. Along with Marc, there are several other members who have worked for years to make this such a successful program. Many of them are also stepping down after volunteering more than their share of time and effort. Along with the Penguin Swim, the Scholarship Committee is one of the two major charitable programs that the Roost conducts each year.
In 2019, we will continue this Tournament. We are looking for volunteers and "new blood" to join the Committee. It's an excellent way to get involved with the Roost. Don McMullen and I will cochair the committee. We already have some volunteers - Steve Szlasa, Gary Miller, Mike Eder, Pat Ladner and Fritz Ladner. I've talked with Marc and we will hold a Transition Meeting in January to get his input and expertise in planning next year's Tournament. Stay tuned and think about volunteering yourself. The first meeting of the 2019 Scholarship Golf Committee will be held January 3, 2019 at the Original Greene Turtle. The meeting will start at 5:30.
Plastic bags will be collected at every Roost meeting. These bags are used by Diakonia (the local Food Bank and Homeless Shelter) to distribute food contributions to the needy. My white Ford pick up truck will be parked out front of OC 360. Just drop your plastic bags (tied up tightly) in the bed of the truck.
· Dates to Remember:
o 12/12 – Entertainment Committee Meeting
o 12/14 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 1/1 – Penguin Swim
o 2/21 – Mini Golf Tournament
· Membership: Thank you everyone for paying your yearly dues. I am still accepting dues. Susan Berterman, 32612 Falling Point Road, Dagsboro Delaware 19939.
· Ticket Exchange:
o I would like to sell the following games. Bucs vs Ravens December 16 and Browns vs Ravens December 30. There are two seats Section 101, Row 32 seats 20 and 21. Visitors side the sunny side. Asking for face value for the tickets. Must buy both. Please call Marius Ambrose at 302-947-4168.
o I have 2 tickets for sale for the Ravens vs Buccaneers game on Sun. 12/16 @ 1pm. Seats are in Sec. 103, Row 32, seats 10 & 11. Face value of $146/each. Let me know if you are interested. Gary Miller
o Matt Herrmann has tickets for sale to all remaining games. 2 tickets section 519 row 17 $75 each; 4 tickets section 527 row 15 $125 each.
o 4 Club Level Tickets for sale. 12/30 Cleveland Browns game. Section 250. Row 9. Seats 7-10. Parking pass for Lot L. Value $1,100. Sales price only $750. Call Marc Grimes at 302-222-0159.
· Penguin Swim: There is still time to join the Roost Penguin Swim Team! Just go to “aghpenguinswim.org”, click on Join a Team, click on Ravens Roost 44, and sign up. If you don't want to go in the water, please consider donating to the Team, one of its members, or purchase one (or 3) of the Raffle tickets. $10/each or 3 for $25.
Contact me for tickets or you can get them at the December meeting. Remember that the AGH Penguin Swim is one of the 2 official Roost 44 charities, so your donation is going to support of a true OC Ravens Roost #44 cause.
The Team has a hospitality suite at the Princess Royale and all are welcome to come and cheer us on as we “get wet for a good cause”.
Raffle Ticket info is on the attached flyer.
o Entertainment committee meeting 12/12, 11am, at the Original Greene Turtle.
o Tickets for quilt still available. See Donna at the meeting.
o Entertainment Schedule 2018:
§ Thursday Feb. 21st 3rd Annual Mini Golf Tournament - Plans are in process and will proceed if sufficient interest is shown. Venue will be Old Pro Indoor course on 136th St. from 7 - 9pm for play + 9 - 10pm at Original Greene Turtle for food and prizes. Drinks there are on your own.
This event is open to family and friends (no minors please) because we need at least 36 players to make this work. As usual there will be beer, wine, soda and water while we play and includes a food spread after play while scores are checked and prizes are awarded. Cost will be $28pp, cash or check payable to Ron Apperson (possible rebate or higher prizes depending on no. of players).
A signup sheet will be available at the Dec, Jan and Feb meetings. Payment deadline will be the Feb 14th meeting but earlier would be appreciated so we can be sure about arranging the food and buying the drinks. A co - chairman to help Ron is desired now to facilitate someone new doing the event next year.
§ Potential Activities Under Discussion
· Bus Trip to Canton
· Duckaneer Cruise
· Pub Crawl Kent Island
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but I do go Jamison Hensley’s Blog here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· All the best Orioles news notes and nuggets used to be @ Britt's Bird Watch here. But Britt has left MLB and gone to the Atlantic to cover the Nationals. As soon as we know who the new Orioles beat writer is, we’ll post it here.
· Tonight - The Original Greene Turtle is very excited to be hosting our 18th Annual Ravens Rap Show! The show is taped every Wednesday from 6 - 8pm and will air each Sunday at noon on WGMD 92.7FM the Talk of Delmarva and on WMDT - TV47.
Each week we will be welcoming local sports authorities including: Mike Bradley our weekly host, Tony Lombardi from the Russell Street Report and Ravens 24/7, former Baltimore Colt Bruce Laird, John Gherig from ExploreOC, Bobby Vermillion from Resort Video Guide plus many more...
This year's sponsors will include: Toyota, GEICO, JC Tickets, Ocean City Golf Getaway, Ocean City Golf Club, Russell Street Report and Ravens 24/7, Explore OC, Holiday Inn Express, the Comfort Inn at the Gold Coast Mall, the Resort Video Guide and this year we are very excited to welcome MILLER LIGHT to the Ravens Roost family!! Tonight, our host will be Mike Bradley with special guests Steve Szslasa and Tony Lombardi!!!
Our drink specials will be $3.00 MILLER LIGHT BOTTLES and $2.50 MILLER LIGHT DRAFTS and of course Ravens Roost members receive 20% off of regular prices (not including drink specials or Happy Hour Prices)!!!
· Tomorrow thru New Years - - Northside Park - Northside Park, 125th Street & the Bay. Admission is $5.00 for those 12 years & older, and FREE for those 11 years and younger.
For over twenty-five years, Winterfest of Lights has delighted families with its holiday light displays, music and attractions.
Take a ride through 58-acres of animated displays on the Winterfest Express. Board the train and enjoy the synchronized holiday music as you glide past spectacular lighted displays, including the Twelve Days of Christmas and other favorite holiday themes.
Visit the heated Winterfest pavilion, buy a cup of hot chocolate at the OC Recreation Boosters Café, and browse the Gift Shop for that special stocking stuffer or gift. Santa and Mrs. Claus are available for photos every night until December 23. On New Year’s Eve, ring in the New Year with entertainment, giveaways and fireworks at midnight. Be sure to visit Winterfest of Lights at Northside Park for that lasting holiday memory!
Hours: Sunday to Thursday 5:30PM to 9:30PM; Friday & Saturday 5:30PM to 10:30PM
· Monday - , The Original Greene Turtle. Come to the Original Greene Turtle for an exciting holiday party for Locals. This event features Karen's World-Famous Egg Nog and Carmel's complimentary dessert table. Bring a gift for Toys-for-Tots.
· A fellow charged with robbing a sporting-goods store asked a lawyer to defend him. "I will take your case," the lawyer said, "if you will assure me of two things: that you are innocent, and that you will pay me $1600."
The client thought for a moment, then said, "Will you do it for $400 and a nice set of golf clubs?"
· Got Poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.