Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez –
Next Roost meeting February 13th at American Legion Hall located between 23 @ 24 Streets. You MUST enter at the side entrance on 24th St. side. The front entrance is for American Legion members only. The new officers and Board member will be sworn in at the meeting. Details on the St. Paddy’s Day Parade on March 14th will be discussed too.
It has been my pleasure and honor to serve as the 10th President of Ravens Roost #44 for the last three years. They have been exciting and challenging years as we weathered a large loss of members from the 2017 "Kneeling Incident" in London and we have been searching for a new "Home" since the Blue Ox closed in 2016.
But Roost #44 is a tough and resilient group. And we continue to have fun along the way - the reason we all joined in the first place! In 2017, we published our 20th Anniversary Yearbook which chronicled the major events of the Roost from 1998-2017. Our two major charitable events, the College Scholarship Golf Tournament and the Penguin Swim for Atlantic General Hospital are still major fundraising events in Ocean City. The Entertainment Committee continues to come up with new and exciting social activities. Our membership has seen a great rebound with a number of new members in the last year or two. And our new members have shown a great interest in getting involved. That is a great sign!
I encourage all members to recruit more members. Pick up a New Member Application at the Sign In Table at our monthly meetings. Also at the Sign In Table, is a list of our committees and events that all members are invited to attend or join. Membership in the Roost is like any other social group. You get out of it what you put into it. Do yourself a favor, learn more about all the Roost events and committees, especially the Entertainment Committee. Then test the water by getting involved in one or more of them. Also check out the Council of Raven Roosts online. The Council is the umbrella of Roosts that we belong to. The Council of Roosts are actually the descendants of the original Colt Corrals.
I want to thank all the officers and members who helped me over the last three years and the two years before that when I was Vice President. A special thanks to Donna and Tony Chaplinski, Ron Apperson and Frank Berterman who helped me and taught me so much along the way. Also thanks to new Vice President Don McMullen who helped me step in and keep the Golf Scholarship Tournament going. (And thanks to Mike Grimes for sponsoring me back in 2006). Finally, I could never thank Sandy Taras enough for all she does for the Roost. Sandy is our Treasurer and she truly is the glue that holds the Roost together.
With Bob Munroe as our new President and Ronnie Staines as Chairman of the Board, and all the other new officers and directors, I know the Roost is in good hands. It’s been a "Labor of Love" to serve as your President and I wish all Roost #44 members the very best in the years ahead!
· Dates to Remember:
o 2/13/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 2/17/2020 – Scholarship Golf Committee Meeting
o 3/12/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 3/14/2020 – St. Paddy’s Day Parade
o 4/8/2020 – Entertainment Committee Meeting
o 4/9/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 5/14/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 5/28-5/31/2020 – Council Convention
o 5/29/2020 – Scholarship Golf Tournament
o 5/30/2020 – Convention Parade
o 6/11/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 7/9/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 8/13/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 10/31/2020 – Bull/Oyster Roast
o 12/12/2020 – Christmas Party
· Membership: I am continuing to accept 2020 dues. Still $30 - Cheap! - Please pay at the meeting or mail your dues to: Susan Berterman, 12290 Dixie Drive, Bishopville, MD, 21813.
· Wellness: Please call Marian Cicero @ 410.250.2501 or 443.880.0862 if you know of a Roost member in need of a message of encouragement or a sympathy card for a family member. Please, no texts or emails.
· House: The February and March Meeting will be held @ the Ocean City American Legion, 2308 Philadelphia Ave, Ocean City, MD 21842. Please enter from the 24th street side of the building.
There is head -in parking on 24th St. in front of our ramped entrance that we must use. The setup for members will be round tables of 6 with a head table for 4 officers. A well-stocked walk up bar is in the room that will open at 6pm. Both drinks and food must be ordered from there and all orders and tips are on a cash basis (like the Elks - no tabs or credit cards). There will be a limited menu with items like cheesesteaks, burgers, tenders, soup and maybe a special entree. The deadline for food orders will be 8pm. The food can be picked up at a counter to the left of the bar. There will no table service. Also like the Elks, all food is served with disposable dinnerware and we must bus our tables to the trash cans at meetings end.
Meetings are requested but waiting for Mgr confirmation for April and May at Abbey Burger behind Hol. Inn Exp. Expectations are that this will be the end of our search project. Member voting on the favorite venue for “most” of our meetings are planned for the May meeting. Acceptable venues for backup locations will be announced after voting. They will be selected and booked by the House Committee when needed.
· Parade: 41st Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Saturday March 14, 2020, Ocean City, Maryland. St. Patrick's Day Parade begins at 60th Street and Parades South to the 45th Street Judging Stand and into the parking lot where the Irish Festival takes place. Starting Promptly at 12 Noon. All are welcome to march, please see sign-up sheet at the next meeting. As usual, we meet in the Beach Copy (59th Street) parking lot around 10am for a little pre-parade tailgating. Reminder, no parking is available at Beach Copy. After the parade, marchers are welcome back to upstairs at the Original Greene Turtle for continued festivities. The Roost provides some food for all registered marchers, you buy your drinks.
· Scholarship Golf: The next Golf Scholarship meeting will be held 5:00 pm February 17th, at the Original Greene Turtle. Members please join us as a volunteer at our next committee meeting. The tee sign forms and golf applications have been uploaded to our website. We need golfers, tee sign sponsors, major sponsors, gift cards from businesses you frequent and donations of adult beverages for our silent auction items.
Thank you and have a great day!!
· Convention: It's time to start thinking about this year's Convention to be held again at the Castle in the Sand, May 28-May 31. Eric and Bob will have more information after the February Council meeting, which will be passed on to you. It's always a fun time and a great way to get to know your fellow Roost members and other Roost members from the Council. Be back in touch with more info when we get it. Jo Ann.
· Penguin Swim: Fundraising efforts for the 2021 Penguin Swim Team will be starting sometime in April. Events in the planning stages include; Wine/Beer tastings at local wineries and brew pubs, the annual Booze Cruise, Guest bartending events, and another charity weekend at The Shrimp Boat. Our Team goal for this year is $16,000.
o Entertainment meeting will resume 4/8 since some of committee will be away. Christmas party booked for 12/12 from 6 to 10. Upcoming are Duckaneer Pirate ship mid-August, trip to Tangier Island, hopefully away trip to Houston, depending on date, pub crawl on Kent Island in May, crab feast in October and a bull/oyster roast/Halloween party on 10/31, Capitols game in fall. We'll keep all posted on dates. Carol Monroe will discuss at next meeting. Thanks, and have a good winter.
o Entertainment Schedule 2020:
§ 10/31 – Bull/Oyster Roast
§ 12/12 – Christmas Party
· Good of the Roost:
o Lee Baker passed this along:
Didn't know if you heard about this yet but this is great news for Bob and Joanne. It's open to RR44 members, Elks and guests, not to the public. I hope our Roost has an item or two we can donate for auction.
Please let our members know buddy.
Because you are involved in Ravens Roost 44 (assuming you are still active)…you know Joann and Bob Elder. Elks Lodge 2645 is having a fundraiser for Joann and Bob on Sunday, 04/26/2020 at the lodge. The cost per ticket will $10-$12...not yet finalized.
At the fundraiser there will be drawings, 50-50s, big wheel, etc. Spaghetti dinner with salad and garlic bread as well as dessert
Can you/will you approach your roost about donating items that could be raffled off at the fundraiser? Are there other organizations with whom you are involved that would consider donating?
Thanks for your help. Peggie Ball
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but you can go here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· Out and about and can’t watch the game? You can listen to the Ravens on the radio! (I know, right?) Go here: https://www.baltimoreravens.com/game-day/coverage for the list of affiliates.
· Follow all the Orioles news on MASN here from columnist Roch Kubatko.
· Friday thru Sunday - Seaside Boat Show - The Boat Show That Works For Kids, Roland E. Powell Convention Center. Boater enthusiast’s this is the event for you! The Seaside Boat Show is the #1 Boat Show on the Eastern Shore. Featuring over 350 boats, electronics, dock builders, boat lifts, crafts, canvas, archery display, fishing rods, fishing tackle, paddle boards, artists and food vendors; this event will not disappoint.
All Optimists are volunteers. For more information, contact Charlie at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.ocboatshow.com.
Friday - 11am to 7pm
Saturday - 10am to 7 pm
Sunday - 10am to 5pm
Admission: $10 for adults; $15 for Weekend Pass.
· Worried that they hadn't heard anything for days from the widow in the apartment next door, the mother said to her son, "Tony, would you go next door and see how old Mrs. Pierpoint is?"
A few minutes later, Tony returned.
"Well, is she all right?" asked the mother.
"She's fine, but she's rather annoyed with you," remarked Tony.
"At me?" the mother exclaimed. "Whatever for?"
Tony replied, "Mrs. Pierpoint said it's none of your business how old she is."
· Got Poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday, I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.