Roost #44 Poop
- Dates to Remember:
- Friday – WCS Meeting @ …
- February 2 - Super Bowl Party CANCELLED due to lack of interest. We only had 17 members sign up and that is not enough people to make it worthwhile for Pappas to open The Blue Ox. The Green Turtle has offered to reserve space upstairs and offer the normal 20% discount off of food and drinks for our members. Please contact the GT if you plan to go there and want reserved seating. Fred has blocks remaining on the SB pool so contact him if you want to buy a few more (410-250-8625), and he will post the winners by email.
- February 6 - Entertainment Committee meeting @ the Original Greene Turtle, 5 pm. There are several things already in the works, such as the SB party mentioned above, The Fundraising Dance, & the annual picnic on Sat. 7/12. Some additional possibilities include; wine tasting at Costa Ventosa, Pub/Brewery bus Crawl to a couple of our local Micro Breweries, walking tour of some of the boardwalk drinking establishments, Putt-Putt golf tournament, Bull or Pig roast, annual Crab Feast, boat raft-ups and whatever else the Committee wants to promote. This is a fun and important committee. This is where all of the outings, parties, and general activities of the Roost are planned. Please consider becoming a member and helping Ravens Roost 44 continue to offer year long social activities for its members.
- March 15 - Ocean City St. Patty's Day Parade - Saturday, March 15th - 12:00 sharp. Members participating in the parade (those who signed up) will meet at Beach Copy parking area (5901 Coastal Hwy, O.C., MD) on Saturday, March 15th anywhere between 9:00 - 10:00 a.m.; Hat/Beard Combination (green hat and green beards) and tuxedo t-shirts will be given out prior to the parade. Those that have signed up to participate in the parade should wear black pants/jeans, purple long sleeve shirt for under the tuxedo t-shirt (to support Raven's colors) and black or white sneakers. We will be throwing beads again this year along the parade route and Frank has generously offered to lead the parade in his truck while supplying festive music. Special thanks to Beach Copy for allowing us to gather at their place of business and thanks to all who are assisting in making the parade a success. As always, no parking is available @ Beach Copy. Cindi Brought, Parade Chair.
- April 5 - 4th Annual Fund Raising Dance Benefiting Roost Activities & Local Charities, 7-11 PM, Featuring the Band TRANZFUSION. Ocean City Elks Lodge Hall -137th St. Bayside. $ 25 pp incl. Beer, Wine, Soda, Snacks & Cash Bar with Door prizes & Money Wheel. Tickets will be available at all Roost Meetings & also by contacting: Ron Apperson 302-436-4790 or Mary Kendall 302-934-7210. email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dues are due. From Jo Ann: Dues ($30 per member) are to be paid by the February meeting. You may pay them at the January or February meeting, or mail them to me at: Jo Ann Elder, 126 Pine Tree Rd., Ocean City, MD 21842. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at: email@example.com, or call me at 410-250-5124. Thanks.
- All the best Orioles news notes and nuggets at Britt's Bird Watch here.
- Tomorrow - Sharks: Stewards of the Reef at the Globe | Free film event, The Globe. Join the Globe for a screening of Sharks: Stewards of the Reef sponsored by the Assateague Coastal Trust. The reception will be held before the movie at 6pm and the movie will start at 6:30pm. To reserve your seat, make a dinner reservation before or after the movie! Call us at 410.641.0784 or email us at FrontDesk@globetheater.com! Synopsis: Sharks: Stewards of the Reef, takes you on a voyage of underwater discovery, to explore tropical reefs and dive with sharks. This 30 minute educational documentary describes the relationship between these top predators, to the oceans and coral reef ecosystems. Sharks: Stewards of the Reef, examines escalating threats to shark population including habitat destruction of reef ecosystems and overfishing that are causing Pacific reef shark populations to plummet. This film examines the most brutal assault threatening shark abundance: that of finning sharks for shark fin soup. Compelling interviews with leading marine biologists and conservationists reveal these driving forces behind the drastic reduction of many shark populations.
- Friday - Starving Artist Dinner | Empty Bowl Project to End Hunger, Ocean City Center for the Arts. Starving Artist Dinner. Enjoy a simple meal with soup, breads and desserts donated by local restaurants and help the hungry through the Empty Bowl Project. Proceeds benefit Diakonia and the programs of the Art League of Ocean City. Sponsored by a grant from the Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore. $20 fee includes a handcrafted ceramic bowl. Register by calling 410-524-9433 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday - Spaghetti Dinner & Silent Auction | With Celtic Music By Gypsy Wind, Holy Trinity Cathedral. A Spaghetti Dinner & Silent Auction with Celtic Music by Gypsy Wind on January 31, 2014 (Snow Date; February 7, 2014) at Holy Trinity Cathedral. Take Out is available from 5:00pm to 5:45pm. Cost is $15 per person. The sit down dinner will begin at 6:00pm, $20 per person or $8 for children under 10. Bring your dancing shoes for Gypsy Wind Band. These two Christian couples have been performing together for over 15 years and have played all over the Delmarva area. For those of you who enjoy their lovely CELTIC MUSIC, the “GYPSY WIND “ band will be donating a limited number of their CD’s for sale at a cost of $10.00. Preview the silent auction items at http://tresarroyos-mdas.com/auction.html
- Sunday - Superbowl Sunday Scramble | 4 Player Scramble, Eagles Landing Golf Course. 4 Player Scramble, 10am Shotgun Start. Includes pre-game Tailgate party at 9am with Prizes. The event is a 4 players scramble with a unique scoring format. The team consists of a Coach, Quarterback, Running Back and Wide Receiver. Teams score points in the following manner: Touchdown (eagle) 6 points, Field Goal (birdie) 3 points, Extra Point (par) 1 point and Safety (bogey) 2 points. 30% of the "A" player’s handicap is the team offense. Plus "Throw the Bomb" on hole #3. Gross and net prizes. Ticket price is $50 per player, which includes green fees, cart and tailgate party. Prizes will be awarded for winning teams. For more information and to sign up, call 410-213-7277.
- Ravens Roost 58 is having a Mardi Gras Party at the Pit & Pub on Sat. 2/8 from 6 to 11 pm, cost is $30/pp and $50/couple. They have supported a lot of our fundraisers and it looks like a lot of fun. Contact Danny @ 443-497-2040 or Maria @ 443-944-4763 to get tickets. Maggie and I and several other members are planning on going. Gary. From Maria of RR#58: As you know, the date is Saturday,February 8th from 6-11 PM. There will a great deal going on that night and I am happy to share the information with you. We will be having a Blues/Jazz Band (this band actually plays in New Orleans for Mardi Gras), DJ Joey Capo, a few drag queens to do comedy and impersonations, and a physic reader.
In addition to the entertainment, there will auctions, raffles, door prizes and awards for best costume. The food will be an AUCE Cajun Buffet; which will include some of the following. Jambalaya, Gumbo, Cajun shrimp boil, Fried Chicken, Cajun turkey, muffulettas, Red beans and Rice, Cajun meatballs, just to name a few. We will begin with a few appetizers beginning at 6 PM, with the main buffet being served from 6:30-7:30, beginning at 8:30-11, we will have finger foods and desserts. There will be plenty of sides such as a cajun chicken Caesar salad, cajun pasta salad, cajun deviled eggs just to name a few. There will be a milk chocolate and a white chocolate fountain for dipping strawberries, veggies, pound cakes, pretzels etc. There will also be a champagne fountain, a fountain flowing with Hurricanes (New Orleans signature drink) and Bud Lt draft beer.
The bar will be fully open and operating at happy hour prices. The cost is $30/person and $50/couple. Tickets are starting to sell now that the posters have been hung up and now it's in The Dispatch. Tickets may be purchased at The Pit & Pub or by calling Danny at 443-497-2040 or myself at 443-944-4763. We hope to see you there, Maria.
- RAVENS ROOST 96 has an Atlantic City Casino Trip scheduled for February 11 – 13, 2014. The trip includes a Hotel Room for two nights (double occupancy) plus $40.00 free play. Cost is $120.00 per person and includes Bus transportation included. For further info the Point of Contact is Roost 96: Mike Darcey 410-207-9637 or Al Bogdlon 410-726-5744.
- Teacher asks the kids in her year 3 class: "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Little Johnny says: "I wanna be a billionaire, go to the most expensive clubs, get me the finest bitch, give her a Ferrari worth over a million bucks, an apartment in Copacabana, a mansion in Paris, a jet to travel throughout Europe, and an Infinite Visa Card, while banging her three times a day". The teacher, shocked, and not knowing what to do with this horrible response from little Johnny, decides not to acknowledge what he said and simply tries to continue with the lesson... "And how about you, Sarah?" "I wanna be Johnny's bitch".
- The government warning said that anyone travelling in icy conditions should take a shovel, blankets or sleeping bag, extra clothing including a scarf, hat and gloves, 24 hour supply of food and drink de-icer, rock salt, flashlight with spare batteries, safety triangle, tow rope, gas can, first aid kit, jumper cables... I looked like an idiot on the bus this morning...
- Got poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
- Life is short. Focus on the good.
- Get all your Groundhog info here. That bastard better not see his shadow!
Baltimore Ravens, let’s go
And put that ball across the line
So fly with talons spread wide
Go in and strike with Ravens pride
Fight! Fight! Fight!
Ravens dark wings take flight
Dive in and show them your might
For Baltimore and Maryland
You will fly on to victory