Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez –
Hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving. Our Christmas Party comes up right after Thanksgiving on December 7th at the Big Easy. Our last 2018 Roost meeting will be December 13th at OC 360. Please bring a contribution of canned goods to the December 13th meeting. The canned goods will be donated to Diakonia, the local food bank and homeless shelter. My white Ford pick up truck will be parked out front to accept canned food donations and plastic bags as usual. I'm thankful for all the friends I have met by being a member of Roost #44!!!!! GO RAVENS!!!
ROOST 44 QUILT RAFFLE
If you haven't already purchased raffle tickets for the beautiful handmade Roost quilt that Martha Worthington made, please contact Donna Chaplinski 410-627-7697 or myself at 410-598-4597 as soon as possible. The tickets are only $5.00 and only 300 will be sold. This is the one fund raising effort for the Roost in 2018. We could use more volunteers to help sell the tickets ASAP!
Bob Monroe was selected as Chairman of the Nominating Committee at the November Roost meeting. In accordance with the By Laws, Bob will select two members to comprise the Nominating Committee. A proposed slate of officers and Board members will be presented at the December 13 Roost meeting. Nominations can also be made from the floor at the meeting. The following positions are vacant:
Chairman of the Board - 3 year term
Board Member - 3 year term
Board Member - 2 year term
Board Member - 2 year term
If you are interested in running for any of these positions, please contact Bob at 410-446-7422 or email . We would really like some newer members to step up and provide leadership for the Roost. Nominations will be closed at the December meeting and the election will be held at the Roost Meeting on January 10, 2019.
As you probably know, after many years of leading our Scholarship Committee that provides thousands of dollars each year through our Golf Tournament, Marc Grimes is stepping down. Along with Marc, there are several other members who have worked for years to make this such a successful program. Many of them are also stepping down after volunteering more than their share of time and effort. Along with the Penguin Swim, the Scholarship Committee is one of the two major charitable programs that the Roost conducts each year.
In 2019, we will continue this Tournament. We are looking for volunteers and "new blood" to join the Committee. It's an excellent way to get involved with the Roost. Don McMullen and I will cochair the committee. We already have some volunteers - Steve Szlasa, Gary Miller, Mike Eder, Pat Ladner and Fritz Ladner. I've talked with Marc and we will hold a Transition Meeting in January to get his input and expertise in planning next year's Tournament. Stay tuned and think about volunteering yourself.
· Dates to Remember:
o 12/7 – Roost Christmas Party
o 12/12 – Entertainment Committee Meeting
o 12/13 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 2/21 – Mini Golf Tournament
· Membership: Thank you everyone for paying your yearly dues. I am still accepting dues. Susan Berterman, 32612 Falling Point Road, Dagsboro Delaware 19939.
· Ticket Exchange:
o I would like to sell the following games. Bucs vs Ravens December 16 and Browns vs Ravens December 30. There are two seats Section 101, Row 32 seats 20 and 21. Visitors side the sunny side. Asking for face value for the tickets. Must buy both. Please call Marius Ambrose at 302-947-4168.
o I have 2 tickets for sale for the Ravens vs Buccaneers game on Sun. 12/16 @ 1pm. Seats are in Sec. 103, Row 32, seats 10 & 11. Face value of $146/each. Let me know if you are interested. Gary Miller
o Matt Herrmann has tickets for sale to all remaining games. 2 tickets section 519 row 17 $75 each; 4 tickets section 527 row 15 $125 each.
· Penguin Swim: Hope to see you at our last fundraising event of the year, the Shrimp Boat Charity Weekend on Friday 11/30 & Sat. 12/1. A flyer with details is attached.
We are still collecting items for the Annual Raffle basket of cheer. We will be collecting bottles of wine, liquor, & beer at this week’s meeting and will have raffle tickets for sale.
o Entertainment committee meeting 12/12, 11am, at the Original Greene Turtle.
o Tickets for quilt still available. See Donna at the meeting.
o Entertainment Schedule 2018:
§ December 7 – Christmas Party at Big Easy from 6:30 - 9:30. Print out the attached selection form and please mail them to Donna as directed on the form. If time is too short for that, please call Ron Apperson at 302-436-4790 to provide the selections and make arrangements for payment. Note: 49 people signed up and only 36 have completed the forms. Signing up is still open.
§ Thursday, February 21 - Mini Golf Tournament - Plans for our 3rd Tournament are in process, 6pm - 9pm @ the Old Pro Indoor venue on 136th St. + 9pm - 10pm for food and prizes @ the Greene Turtle. Drinks there are on your own.
This event is open to family and friends (no minors please) because we need at least 36 people to make this work. As usual there will be beer, wine, soda, and water available as we play and includes a food spread after play while scores are tabulated and prizes are awarded. Cost will be $28pp, cash or check payable to Ron Apperson. (possible rebate or higher prizes depending on amount of players).
A signup sheet showing interest will be available at the Christmas Party and Dec., Jan., and Feb. meetings. Payment deadline will be the Feb 14th meeting but earlier will be appreciated. A co-chairman to help Ron is desired to facilitate the planning for next and future years.
§ Potential Activities Under Discussion
· Bus Trip to Canton
· Duckaneer Cruise
· Pub Crawl Kent Island
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but I do go Jamison Hensley’s Blog here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· All the best Orioles news notes and nuggets used to be @ Britt's Bird Watch here. But Britt has left MLB and gone to the Atlantic to cover the Nationals. As soon as we know who the new Orioles beat writer is, we’ll post it here.
· Tonight - The Original Greene Turtle is very excited to be hosting our 18th Annual Ravens Rap Show! The show is taped every Wednesday from 6 - 8pm and will air each Sunday at noon on WGMD 92.7FM the Talk of Delmarva and on WMDT - TV47.
Each week we will be welcoming local sports authorities including: Mike Bradley our weekly host, Tony Lombardi from the Russell Street Report and Ravens 24/7, former Baltimore Colt Bruce Laird, John Gherig from ExploreOC, Bobby Vermillion from Resort Video Guide plus many more...
This year's sponsors will include: Toyota, GEICO, JC Tickets, Ocean City Golf Getaway, Ocean City Golf Club, Russell Street Report and Ravens 24/7, Explore OC, Holiday Inn Express, the Comfort Inn at the Gold Coast Mall, the Resort Video Guide and this year we are very excited to welcome MILLER LIGHT to the Ravens Roost family!!
Our drink specials will be $3.00 MILLER LIGHT BOTTLES and $2.50 MILLER LIGHT DRAFTS and of course Ravens Roost members receive 20% off of regular prices (not including drink specials or Happy Hour Prices)!!!
· Tomorrow thru New Years - - Northside Park - Northside Park, 125th Street & the Bay. Admission is $5.00 for those 12 years & older, and FREE for those 11 years and younger.
For over twenty-five years, Winterfest of Lights has delighted families with its holiday light displays, music and attractions.
Take a ride through 58-acres of animated displays on the Winterfest Express. Board the train and enjoy the synchronized holiday music as you glide past spectacular lighted displays, including the Twelve Days of Christmas and other favorite holiday themes.
Visit the heated Winterfest pavilion, buy a cup of hot chocolate at the OC Recreation Boosters Café, and browse the Gift Shop for that special stocking stuffer or gift. Santa and Mrs. Claus are available for photos every night until December 23. On New Year’s Eve, ring in the New Year with entertainment, giveaways and fireworks at midnight. Be sure to visit Winterfest of Lights at Northside Park for that lasting holiday memory!
Hours: Sunday to Thursday 5:30PM to 9:30PM; Friday & Saturday 5:30PM to 10:30PM
· Saturday - Ocean City Christmas Parade - Wonderful Holiday Parade, Gold Coast Mall, 115th St. Wonderful holiday parade with nearly 1,000 participants including local school bands, floats, marching units, the popular camelids from Diamond State Llama Farm and Santa Claus. Many activities in Gold Coast Mall following the parade.
The Ocean City Christmas Parade starts Saturday at 11am at Old Landing Road and marches northbound in the southbound lanes of Coastal Highway to the judges stand at 120th Street. Parade route subject to change. Contact Elaine Jarvis at 410-524-9000 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
· Saturday - It Was A Very Good Year: Frank Sinatra Tribute and Birthday Celebration, Roland E. Powell Convention Center. You’ll never get a chance to see Frank Sinatra, or even Frank Sinatra Jr., perform in concert, but many say that Tony Sands is the next best thing. Sands and has been perfecting his act as one of the nation’s best-known Sinatra impersonators. Sands has incorporated stunning graphics that entice you the moment the stage lights dim. He will be performing such hits as That’s Life, Come Fly With Me, Luck Be A Lady, My Way, New York New York, and many more. Sands will be accompanied by his Big Six-Piece Big Band – don’t miss this stunning tribute to the great Frank Sinatra at the Ocean City Performing Arts Center. Tickets: $45 and $35 (on sale Friday, August 10 at 10am). Show: Doors open at 7:30pm, show starts at 8:00pm
· Sunday - 21st Annual Hots "4" Tots Chili Cook Off - Toys for Tots Fundraiser, The Greene Turtle Sports Bar & Grille West OC. Join the Horizon Group of Keller Williams Realty for its 21st Annual Hots "4" TOTS Chili Cook Off at the Greene Turtle in West Ocean City, Sunday, Dec. 2. Donations from the event go to Worcester County G.O.L.D. and the Ocean City Police Department toy drive. Admission for the cook off is $10 or one unwrapped toy, which allows each guest to have unlimited chili samples and drink specials. There will be cash prizes for the top three best tasting chili and "best in show."
· An elderly man and woman meet in a bar and get to talking. They are enjoying their conversation so much that, when the bar closes, they decide to continue at the woman's apartment. After a time, things start getting pretty romantic and they wind up in bed. Afterward, they're both laying there, staring at the ceiling.
The old man is thinking..."Gosh, if I had known she was a virgin, I would have been more careful with her."
The old lady is thinking..."Geez, if I had known he could get it up, I would have taken off my pantyhose."
· Got Poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.
· No Poop next week. I’m on vacation. See ya on 12/12.