Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez – Don't miss the next Roost meeting on June 14th at OC 360. At the meeting, Golf Committee Chairman Marc Grimes will be presenting the 2018 Raven Roost #44 Scholar/Athlete College Scholarships to seven students from Stephen Decatur High School, Indian River High School and Worcester Prep. To be eligible for a scholarship, students must have a 3.0 GPA and participate on at least one varsity athletic team. In addition, the applicants are judged on their level of leadership, community service, awards and volunteerism. The students and their families will be in attendance. It’s a real special meeting.
The scholarships are raised by our Annual Scholarship Golf Tournament that will be held June 1st at the Ocean Pines Golf Course. With these 7 scholarships, Raven Roost #44 has raised over $170,000 since the beginning of the tournament. Each year, a committee of dedicated Roost members help raise money by soliciting donations from local restaurants, hotels, bars and other businesses. I want to thank all the Golf Committee members who work so hard to make this such a successful event.
On May 23rd, I was privileged to announce three winners of Roost #44 scholarships at a very special event at Stephen Decatur High School. It is an annual meeting where scholarships are announced to graduating seniors who applied for college scholarships from dozens and dozens of local businesses and non profit groups like the Roost. It is really an uplifting event that both shows the generosity of our community and the level of excellence of our standout graduating seniors.
Remember that your Roost Membership card entitles you to a 20% discount on food, beverage & apparel purchases at the Original Greene Turtle (116th St.). We encourage all Roost members and committees to patronize the Original Greene Turtle!
Remember that we collect plastic grocery bags at every Roost meeting. These bags are used by Diakonia (Local Food Bank & Homeless Shelter) to distribute food contributions to the needy. My white Ford pickup truck is parked in front of OC 360 at every Roost meeting. Simply put your plastic bags (tied up tightly) in the bed of the truck. This is a great way to recycle plastic bags for a good cause.
· Dates to Remember:
o Tomorrow thru Sunday – Council of Ravens Roost Annual Convention
o Friday – Scholarship Golf Tournament
o June 6 - Entertainment Meeting, 5:30pm, at the Original Greene Turtle.
· Membership: Thank you everyone for paying your yearly dues. As of today we have 124 members in our Roost, I am still accepting dues. Susan White, 32612 Falling Point Road, Dagsboro Delaware 19939.
· Convention: Advanced convention registration closed, but members that want to attend can still register, it’s just too late to get a goodie bag. You can even register at the convention if you want. If you are still interested, contact Jo Ann @ firstname.lastname@example.org. We have 22 members going to the convention.
· Convention Parade: We have 27 people signed up for convention parade, and can’t accept any more since we need at least 75% of our participants to be registered for the convention.
We have booked the Tram, and Susan White will be taking care of everything the day of the parade.
We will be wearing the Roost Hawaiian Shirts and your lower portion of your body should be either khaki or white shorts, Capri’s or such. Shoes would prefer closed shoe since I don’t want anyone tripping or falling in flip flops or sandals please. We have a total of 7 participants that do not have the roost Hawaiian shirts and are looking for loaners for the participants. If you have a loaner please contact myself or Susan White; If you can loan a shirt please put your name inside your shirt using painters or masking tape so we can make sure you get your shirt back.
The Theme for the parade is “Riding the Wave to Ravenstown”. We are looking for surfboards and boogie boards, including any beach related items to help compliment the theme. And you can wear anything that would complement this theme of riding the wave.
We have ordered purple “grape” salt water taffy to give away.
Meeting at tram at 8am at Tram Hub - it is adjacent to the Oceanic Motel at the inlet. The address is 703 South Philadelphia Avenue, the tram building is on the left just before the inlet. If you have any questions, or if you signed up and have changed your mind please let us know as quickly as possible.
Best Regards & Have a Great Day, Mary Kendall. Email: email@example.com
· Road Trip: Bus Trip to Charlotte: We need more people to sign up to ride the bus otherwise the bus will be cancelled. People who still want to go will be responsible for their own transportation. We had 6 people drop out so now we only have 24 bus riders, and we can't afford the bus with so few riders.
If we have to cancel the bus, we will still have the trip, but I need to know ASAP who still wants to go in case we don't have a bus. I have to let the hotel know how many rooms to hold.
The hotel is the Doubletree Uptown, $162 for a king, $172 for two doubles. This includes a full hot breakfast.
My # is 410.627.7697 call or text, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Apparel: 20th Anniversary Gear in Stock! There a few 20th Anniversary T shirts, Hoodies and Long Sleeve Shirts available in three colors - Black, Purple and Gray. Call me at 410-598-4597 if you're interested. Thanks, Eric.
· Scholarship Golf Tournament: Ravens Roost 44 Scholarship Golf Auction: We are offering a "Buy it Now" item to the General Membership. 2 tickets to the Freeman Stage "Simply Diamond" performance. A preeminent Neil Diamond Tribute. Performance date is Saturday June 23rd at 7pm. Package will include 2 Center Stage Sponsor Chairs 7th row or better. Also, Sponsor Gate Admission as well as Sponsor Deck Access is included. Value $75. Buy It Now for $60. Two packages are available. If interested call Marc Grimes at 302-222-0159.
o Tentative Entertainment Schedule 2018
§ May 31-June 3 – Council Convention
§ June 1 – Roost Scholarship Golf Tournament
§ June 2 – Convention Parade
§ June 6 - Entertainment Meeting, 5:30pm, at the Original Greene Turtle.
§ July 14 – Annual Picnic
§ July 19 – Shorebirds Game - Shorebirds Event Thursday evening 7/19/18: $28pp (includes 2 hr. buffet, table/chair seating, giveaway visor & $2 pint cans)
The status is that we have 32 signed up ( + actually 2 bus drivers that we pay for food only for them). Of the signees 26 have paid, I have now booked it with a deposit and we are good to go. But we still need some more to sign up - especially for the bus because with 19 bus riders the cost pp would be about $10. Let’s get some more for a safety valve and lower bus costs.
§ September 29 – Crab Feast
§ November ? – Harrington Bus Trip
§ December 7 – Christmas Party
o Potential Activities Under Discussion
§ Bus Trip to Canton
§ Duckaneer Cruise
§ Pub Crawl Kent Island
§ Eastern Shore Ghost Bus Tour
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but I do go Jamison Hensley’s Blog here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· All the best Orioles news notes and nuggets at Britt's Bird Watch here.
· Now thru Labor Day - OC Beach Lights Spectacular - Lasers, lights, video, music and special effects, The Beach at North Division Street. Returning to Ocean City this summer is the fun and exciting free event for the entire family, OC Beach Lights Spectacular!
Beach Lights will begin Memorial Day weekend and run nightly through Labor Day from 9pm to 11pm. Special 3-minute displays at 9:00pm, 9:20pm, 9:40pm, 10:00pm, 10:20pm, 10:40pm, and 11:00pm.
This lighting attraction features high-powered searchlights that accent the sky and surrounding area around N. Division Street and the Boardwalk. Searchlights move and sway, creating a dance of light to musical selections played through boardwalk speakers. The lights change into a variety of colors, bathing the surrounding beachscape and boardwalk in vibrant colors.
· A very thirsty man goes into a bar.
As he waits to get the bartender's attention, a regular sitting next to him calls out, "I'll have another waterloo."
The bartender gives the regular a tall ice cold drink and asks the newcomer what he would like. The thirsty man points to the man next to him and says, "I guess I'll have what he's having, a waterloo."
So the bartender brings the newcomer a tall ice cold drink. The man takes a long deep drink and calls out, "HEY! This isn't any good. It tastes just like water!"
The regular bar patron sitting next to him says, "It is water. That's all I drink," He turns to the bartender and says, "Right Lou?"
· Got poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.