Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez –
Greetings to all…I hope all is well with everyone as we will soon close out another winter. When my wife and I joined the Roost back in January 2018 I never would have imagined that I would be writing in the Poop as the 11th President of Ravens Roost #44…it is quite an honor. I want to thank Eric Waterman for helping me in this transition and look forward to working with the board members.
As we move forward, I would like to encourage the Roost members to get involved in the different committees and to usher in new members. We have a lot of exciting events coming up this year (St. Paddy’s Day parade, the Golf Scholarship Tournament, Ravens Council Convention along with the Roost picnic…Shorebirds game and many other events) please read the Poop and the Caw for upcoming announcements and dates.
Just a reminder if you haven’t done so already please send in your membership dues to Susan. All dues are required to be paid by April.
A reminder that the next Roost meeting will be held at the American Legion in Ocean City on March 12…please enter on the 24th St. side entrance as the front entrance is for American Legion members only…hope to see all there.
If you need to get in contact with me for any concerns my email address is email@example.com.
· Dates to Remember:
o 3/2/2020 – Scholarship Golf Committee Meeting
o 3/12/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 3/14/2020 – St. Paddy’s Day Parade
o 4/8/2020 – Entertainment Committee Meeting
o 4/9/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 5/14/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 5/28-5/31/2020 – Council Convention
o 5/29/2020 – Scholarship Golf Tournament
o 5/30/2020 – Convention Parade
o 6/11/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 7/9/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 8/13/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 10/31/2020 – Bull/Oyster Roast
o 12/12/2020 – Christmas Party
· Membership: I am continuing to accept 2020 dues. Still $30 - Cheap! - Please pay at the meeting or mail your dues to: Susan Berterman, 12290 Dixie Drive, Bishopville, MD, 21813.
· Wellness: Please call Marian Cicero @ 410.250.2501 or 443.880.0862 if you know of a Roost member in need of a message of encouragement or a sympathy card for a family member. Please, no texts or emails.
· House: The March Meeting will be held @ the Ocean City American Legion, 2308 Philadelphia Ave, Ocean City, MD 21842. Please enter from the 24th street side of the building.
There is head -in parking on 24th St. in front of our ramped entrance that we must use. The setup for members will be round tables of 6 with a head table for 4 officers. A well-stocked walk up bar is in the room that will open at 6pm. Both drinks and food must be ordered from there and all orders and tips are on a cash basis (like the Elks - no tabs or credit cards). There will be a limited menu with items like cheesesteaks, burgers, tenders, soup and maybe a special entree. The deadline for food orders will be 8pm. The food can be picked up at a counter to the left of the bar. There will no table service. Also like the Elks, all food is served with disposable dinnerware and we must bus our tables to the trash cans at meetings end.
Meetings are requested but waiting for Mgr confirmation for April and May at Abbey Burger behind Hol. Inn Exp. Expectations are that this will be the end of our search project. Member voting on the favorite venue for “most” of our meetings are planned for the May meeting. Acceptable venues for backup locations will be announced after voting. They will be selected and booked by the House Committee when needed.
· Parade: 41st Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Saturday March 14, 2020, Ocean City, Maryland. St. Patrick's Day Parade begins at 60th Street and Parades South to the 45th Street Judging Stand and into the parking lot where the Irish Festival takes place. Starting Promptly at 12 Noon.
As usual, we meet in the Beach Copy (59th Street) parking lot around 10am for a little pre-parade tailgating. Reminder, no parking is available at Beach Copy. After the parade, marchers are welcome back to upstairs at the Original Greene Turtle for continued festivities. The Roost provides some food for all registered marchers, you buy your drinks.
· Scholarship Golf: The next golf scholarship committee meeting is scheduled for 5:00pm, March 2nd at the Original Greene Turtle.
I forgot to mention at the last meeting information on the Ravens Roost #44 Legacy Scholarship. Applicants parents, grandparent or guardian must be a RR 44 member in good standing for 2 years prior to the date of the award. The applicant must be a senior at Indian River HS, Stephen Decatur HS or Worcester Preparatory School. Maximum award is $500.00. The applications are on page 24 of the bylaws and should be submitted no later than April 1, 2020.
The tee sign forms, and golf applications have been uploaded to our website. We need golfers, tee sign sponsors, major sponsors, gift cards from businesses you frequent and donations of adult beverages for our silent auction items.
Thank you and have a great day!!
· Convention: It's time to start thinking about this year's Convention to be held again at the Castle in the Sand, May 28-May 31. Eric and Bob will have more information after the February Council meeting, which will be passed on to you. It's always a fun time and a great way to get to know your fellow Roost members and other Roost members from the Council. Be back in touch with more info when we get it. Jo Ann.
· Penguin Swim: Fundraising efforts for the 2021 Penguin Swim Team will be starting sometime in April. Events in the planning stages include: Wine/Beer tastings at local wineries and brew pubs, the annual Booze Cruise, Guest bartending events, and another charity weekend at The Shrimp Boat. Our Team goal for this year is $16,000.
o Entertainment meeting will resume 4/8 since some of committee will be away. Christmas party booked for 12/12 from 6 to 10. Upcoming are Duckaneer Pirate ship mid-August, trip to Tangier Island, hopefully away trip to Houston, depending on date, pub crawl on Kent Island in May, crab feast in October and a bull/oyster roast/Halloween party on 10/31, Capitols game in fall. We'll keep all posted on dates. Carol Monroe will discuss at next meeting. Thanks, and have a good winter.
o Entertainment Schedule 2020:
§ 10/31 – Bull/Oyster Roast
§ 12/12 – Christmas Party
· Good of the Roost:
o Lee Baker passed this along:
Didn't know if you heard about this yet but this is great news for Bob and Joanne. It's open to RR44 members, Elks and guests, not to the public. I hope our Roost has an item or two we can donate for auction.
Please let our members know buddy.
Because you are involved in Ravens Roost 44 (assuming you are still active) …you know Joann and Bob Elder. Elks Lodge 2645 is having a fundraiser for Joann and Bob on Sunday, 04/26/2020 at the lodge. The cost per ticket will $10-$12...not yet finalized.
At the fundraiser there will be drawings, 50-50s, big wheel, etc. Spaghetti dinner with salad and garlic bread as well as dessert
Can you/will you approach your roost about donating items that could be raffled off at the fundraiser? Are there other organizations with whom you are involved that would consider donating?
Thanks for your help. Peggie Ball
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but you can go here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· Out and about and can’t watch the game? You can listen to the Ravens on the radio! (I know, right?) Go here: https://www.baltimoreravens.com/game-day/coverage for the list of affiliates.
· Follow all the Orioles news on MASN here from columnist Roch Kubatko.
· Saturday and Sunday – Cheerleader Weekend! Reach the Beach School Nationals: Rec & School, Recreational & School - Roland E. Powell Convention Center. Recreation and School Cheerleading Teams from around the world gather to compete at the one and only Reach the Beach! Experience the thrill of competing under amazing concert lighting and professional HD Sound System. Teams will feel as if they were a part of an incredible Broadway Production in New York City!
Our fantastic, professionally choreographed awards ceremony, and the sheer fun of Ocean City, Maryland, combine to make this the best National competition your team will attend! Prize money, fabulous individual and partner stunt awards, the unbeatable atmosphere, unstoppable fun and more, make this the premier Cheerleading National Championship! After the competition, experience Ocean City's beautiful beaches, the world-famous boardwalk, seafood restaurants galore, and outlet shopping! Do not miss this sell-out event.
Cheerleading National Competition, 7AM - 10PM. Adults - Saturday or Sunday - $22 / 2-Day - $39; Children & Seniors - Saturday or Sunday - $15 / 2-Day - $27. Call 877-322-2310 or visit www.acdaspirit.com or www.theepicbrands.com.
· A guy goes into a drugstore to buy condoms.
"What size?" asks the clerk.
"Gee, I don't know."
"Go see Sophie in aisle 4."
He goes over to see Sophie, who rubs his crotch, and yells, "Medium!"
The guy is mortified! He hurries over to pay and leaves quickly.
Another guy comes in to buy condoms and gets sent to Sophie in aisle 4. Sophie rubs him and yells,
The guy struts over to the register, pays, and leaves.
A high school kid comes in to buy condoms.
The kid embarrassedly says, "I've never done this before. I don't know what size."
The clerk sends him over to Sophie in aisle 4.
She rubs him and yells,
"Clean up in aisle 4!"
· Got Poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday, I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.
· No Poop next week…we’ll be on vacation.