Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez – The next Roost Meeting has been moved to WEDNEDAYAUGUST 8 due to the Ravens preseason game on Thursday August 9 against the Rams in Baltimore. The Roost Meeting will be held the night before the game at OC 360 at 7:30. Please show up to help us kick off our new season. Remember you can go straight into our meeting room and order food. You don't have to go to the bar to order food and drinks.
Marc Grimes is stepping down as Chairman of the Golf Scholarship Committee. I would like to begin a discussion with Roost members who would like to try to continue the Roost #44 Golf Scholarship event, about whether we will continue to host this event. Whatever, we decide, every Roost member should give Marc a great big 'Thank You' for his years of building this event into one of Ocean City's major fund raising events. I personally hope we can carry on Marc's legacy and continue the tournament and the funds it generates for outstanding local graduating seniors.
Please think about stepping up to volunteer for Board and Officer positions and the Golf Scholarship Committee next year. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the responsibilities for any of these positions. firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-598-4597.
Remember that your Roost Membership card entitles you to a 20% discount on food, beverage & apparel purchases at the Original Greene Turtle (116th St.). We encourage all Roost members and committees to patronize the Original Greene Turtle!
Remember that we collect plastic grocery bags at every Roost meeting. These bags are used by Diakonia (Local Food Bank & Homeless Shelter) to distribute food contributions to the needy. My white Ford pickup truck is parked in front of OC 360 at every Roost meeting. Simply put your plastic bags (tied up tightly) in the bed of the truck. This is a great way to recycle plastic bags for a good cause.
· Dates to Remember:
o 9/1 – Entertainment Committee Meeting
o 8/2 – Hall of Fame Game, Bears & Ravens, in Canton, 8pm. So it begins…
o 8/8 – Monthly Roost Meeting, 7:30pm @ OC 360.
o 8/9 – First home preseason game against the Rams, 7:30pm.
o 9/12 – Booze Cruise
· Membership: Thank you everyone for paying your yearly dues. I am still accepting dues. Susan Berterman, 32612 Falling Point Road, Dagsboro Delaware 19939.
· Road Trip: Bus Trip to Charlotte: Trip to Charlotte finalized, all rooms are booked, tickets ordered. Panthers’ ticket office says the tickets will be ,ailed out “sometime” in August. Marian is working on securing a place to go after the game to celebrate our win. Positive thinking! Thanks, Donna.
· Apparel: 20th Anniversary Gear in Stock! There a few 20th Anniversary T shirts, Hoodies and Long Sleeve Shirts available in three colors - Black, Purple and Gray. Call me at if you're interested. Thanks, Eric.
· Ticket Exchange:
o 2 Raven PSL's in section 503 isle seats for sale, negotiable. He can be reached at 410-913-4700. (Chad Baker)
· Penguin Swim: Wednesday Sept 12th. OC RR44 2018 Bar-Hop Cruise to benefit the Ravens Roost #44 Penguin Swim Team in support of the Atlantic General Hospital Penguin Swim. ALL MONEY RAISED IS DONATED TO AGH. Meet at MR Ducks. HH prices on food and drinks till 6pm. 5:45pm board “The Explorer”. Boat leaves PROMPTLY at 6pm Will return about 10 pm. Cash bar on boat. Itinerary will be available soon, but last stop will be Sunset Grill. LIMITED TO 65 PEOPLE. This sells out fast so please sign up early. Send an email to; to reserve a spot.
o Tentative Entertainment Schedule 2018
§ Entertainment Committee Meeting August 1 @ the Original Greene Turtle, 12pm.
§ September 29 – Crab Feast
§ November ? – Harrington Bus Trip
§ December 7 – Christmas Party
o Potential Activities Under Discussion
§ Bus Trip to Canton
§ Duckaneer Cruise
§ Pub Crawl Kent Island
§ Eastern Shore Ghost Bus Tour
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but I do go Jamison Hensley’s Blog here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· All the best Orioles news notes and nuggets at Britt's Bird Watch here.
· Now thru Labor Day - - Lasers, lights, video, music and special effects, The Beach at North Division Street. Returning to Ocean City this summer is the fun and exciting free event for the entire family, OC Beach Lights Spectacular!
Beach Lights will begin Memorial Day weekend and run nightly through Labor Day from 9pm to 11pm. Special 3-minute displays at 9:00pm, 9:20pm, 9:40pm, 10:00pm, 10:20pm, 10:40pm, and 11:00pm.
This lighting attraction features high-powered searchlights that accent the sky and surrounding area around N. Division Street and the Boardwalk. Searchlights move and sway, creating a dance of light to musical selections played through boardwalk speakers. The lights change into a variety of colors, bathing the surrounding beachscape and boardwalk in vibrant colors.
· Tonight - - Carousel Resort Hotel and Condominiums. Enjoy free movies on the beach in Ocean City Maryland every Wednesday from June 6 to August 29 at the Carousel Hotel on 117th St. in Ocean City MD. Each week, a general audience movie is presented free of charge on our 16 foot projector. Bring a beach chair or blanket & enjoy the night beside the ocean. Movie starts at dusk. For more information, call 800-626-2326.
Save the Date - Complete Season Schedule:
o July 25: The Lego Ninjango Movie
o August 1: Leap
o August 8: Justice League
o August 15: Cars 3
o August 22: Moana
o August 29: Wonder Woman
· Tonight – Freeman Stage @ Bayside - An Evening with Gov't Mule, 7:30pm, $45. Gov’t Mule never lost sight of where they began. During a break from The Allman Brothers Band in 1994, Haynes and original bassist Allen Woody formed Gov’t Mule with drummer Matt Abts, with whom Haynes played alongside in the Dickey Betts Band. Confidently merging rock, blues, jazz, and funk, the trio carved out a place in the American rock ’n’ roll canon with a string of influential albums, beginning with 1995’s "Gov’t Mule," followed by "Dose" (1998), and "Life Before Insanity" (2000). In the aftermath of Woody’s tragic passing, Haynes and Abts joined forces with a barrage of legendary bass players, including John Entwistle, Jack Bruce, Phil Lesh, Bootsy Collins, Flea, Les Claypool, Mike Gordon, and more for "The Deep End," Volume 1 and "The Deep End," Volume 2 in 2001 and 2002, respectively, as well as 2003’s RIAA Gold Certified live offering, "The Deepest End, Live in Concert." Welcoming Andy Hess on bass and Danny Louis on keyboards, the quartet released "Déjà Voodoo" (2004) and "High & Mighty" (2006). 2008 saw Carlsson enter the fold on bass for "By A Thread" (2009), cementing the current lineup. In 2013, "Shout!" proved to be another watershed moment as the group collaborated with the likes of Ben Harper, Elvis Costello, Dr. John, Grace Potter, Dave Matthews, Myles Kennedy, Steve Winwood, and more on alternate vocal tracks. From 2014 through 2016, the band delivered a series of archival releases celebrating its 20th Anniversary that achieved chart success across genres as "Dub Side of the Mule" went No. 1 for Reggae, Sco-Mule claimed No. 2 for Jazz, and "Dark Side of Mule" landed No.10 for Rock. Along the way, their catalog has impressively racked up 120 million-plus Pandora plays, over 60 million Spotify streams, 3 million downloads from their official website, and millions of album sales. BYOC- Bring Your Own Chair. Tickets required for all patrons, including infants and toddlers.
· Tomorrow - , S. Division St. & the Bay. Enjoy free concerts in Ocean City Maryland in Sunset Park every Thursday in July and August from 7pm - 9pm. Sunset Park Party Nights provides a perfect outdoor setting overlooking the bay in Ocean City MD. Bring a chair and watch the sunset as you listen to great live music. Sunset Park is located along South Division Street between Philadelphia Avenue and the Bay, next to the US Coast Guard Station in downtown Ocean City MD. All concert admissions and parking are free and open to the public. Beverages, including beer, are available for purchase. Please bring your own chair.
o July 26 - Bob Lougheed & Memphis Mafia (Tribute to Elvis)
o Aug 2 - British Invasion Experience (Beatles Tribute Band)
o Aug 9 - Lower Case Blues (Blues / Rock)
o Aug 16 - Tranzfusion (Classic Rock)
o Aug 23 - The Beach Bumz (Tropical Rock)
o Aug 30 - The Swell Fellas (R&B / Funk / Soul)
For more information, call 410-289-7739.
· Tomorrow - , Ocean Pines Association Inc
o July 26 – Sinatra 101
o Aug 2 – Blind Wind
o Aug 9 – Full Circle
o Aug 16 – Prime Time
o Aug 23 – Opposite Directions
Bring lawn chairs and the whole family for an evening of music in White Horse Park. BYOB allowed. Concessions will be available. Concerts are children friendly: there is a playground right at the park! Free Admission!
· Tomorrow – Freeman Stage @ Bayside - An Evening with Matisyahu, 7pm, $28-$50. Singer-songwriter Matisyahu has been on a journey inward for more than a decade. The journey has been private and public. The journey has at times been explicitly external, even while being driven by internal change. Now nearly thirteen years after the release of his first studio record, Matisyahu and his band have done something unmatched in his past repertoire; they have crafted that journey into a musically thematic eight song movement. The band features longtime guitarist Aaron Dugan, Dub Trio bassist and drummer Stu Brooks and Joe Tomino, and keyboard virtuoso BigYuki — and the journey starts with them. The band improvised for hours in the studio with Matisyahu watching on as an admirer without singing a single lyric. Out of the improvisations grew melodic themes, rhythmic peaks and valleys, blissful and proto-song guitar passages, deep dub meditations and ultimately an inspired instrumental record until itself. Only once the band had crafted this musical narrative, did Matisyahu begin to work on a lyrical narrative of his own -- a lyrical narrative that is simultaneously informed and integrated with the music yet driven by Matisyahu's own personal journey. The result is Undercurrent, Matisyahu's sixth studio album. The record is musically Matisyahu's most courageous release to date and lyrically his most vulnerable. Like someone watching an ocean wave move chaotically towards the shore unaware of the undercurrent pulling mightily back in the opposite direction, Matisyahu and his band have achieved a musical retelling of the Matisyahu story that explores the forces within that inspire us all, challenge us all, break us down, lift us up, and yet are rarely obvious to the outside observer. Tickets required for all patrons, including infants and toddlers. No re-entry permitted. This performance will feature standing room only in front of the stage and BYOC seating in the rear of the venue. Upgrade your experience to our limited VIP premium assigned seating on raised platforms to the left and right of the stage. We will also utilize a large LED screen during this performance as an enhanced viewing option for patrons.
· Friday – Freeman Stage @ Bayside - Tusk: The World's Number One Tribute to Fleetwood Mac, 7pm, $23. TUSK covers all the great hits of Fleetwood Mac and is the world's No. 1 tribute to Fleetwood Mac. The five seasoned, well-respected musicians comprising TUSK have been making music together in various combinations and styles, in original outfits and in cover bands, for over 25 years. It seemed only fitting that they should come together to form the Ultimate Fleetwood Mac Tribute, and pay homage to a group that dominated the charts during the band members’ formative years. Authentic-sounding and always respectful, TUSK leaves no stone unturned in replicating the sounds of one of the world’s best-loved, top-selling bands. Children age 12 & under are granted free entry to this performance. BYOC- Bring Your Own Chair
· Friday, Saturday, & Sunday - , Convention Center; 40th St. & Bay
Delmarva's Largest GREEK FESTIVAL! 4 Days of Food & Fun! This is the 28th year that the Roland E. Powell Convention Center, on 40th Street & the Bay, will be transformed into a place for "All things Greek", feeding and entertaining thousands of Delmarva tourists and local families alike.
Doors open daily at 12 noon to feed hungry Greek Festival goers authentic traditional Greek cuisine. All menu items are available for lunch or dinner times, dine in or carry out, including: Baked Lemon Chicken, Lamb Shank, Keftedes, Dolmathes, Spanakopita, Tiropitas, Greek Salad, Pastitsio, Moussaka and Gyro Sandwich. Have a leisurely lunch and shop from the many unique vendors of jewelry, imports and art. Then hit the beach and come back for dinner & dancing when the place really rocks, after 5pm, to the Greek sounds of Golden Flame. Not shy? Grab a hand and dance! A little shy? That's ok, enjoy watching the others, especially the Authentic Greek Folk Dance Performers.
Feelin' lucky? Buy a ticket or two for "The Best Odds in Town 1:200 chance to win up to $10,000", enough for your own Greek vacation! Chances are pre-selling securely online at . For mail orders download mail order form, print and mail in with check payable to St George Greek Orthodox Church. BUY NOW to avoid disappointment, only 200 Chances will be sold so when they're gone, they're gone.
For dessert, enjoy a REAL Greek Coffee and some sweets from the amazing selection of pastries or have a hot bowl of fresh loukoumathes (fried dough puffs topped with honey syrup and cinnamon) or our Festival famous rice pudding, or one of each! To extend your Greek Festival experience, stock up on pastries like Baklava and Greek cookies, they freeze well (if they last that long)!
The kids will have fun doing kids crafts and having their faces painted when they aren't Greek dancing or chowing down on all the kid friendly Greek foods and desserts.
Admission is FREE!
Plenty of free parking, air-conditioned hall, handicap access, ATM on site. Visa/Mastercard/Discover accepted for food and vendor purchases. For more information, visit or call 410-524-0990 or visit on Facebook at OceanCityGreekFestival. Festival proceeds benefit community and ministry programs of St. George Greek Orthodox Church.
· Saturday -Freeman Stage @ Bayside - Mary Chapin Carpenter, 7pm, $35-$55. With special guest Emily Barker! Mary Chapin Carpenter is a five-time Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter and Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame inductee. Her latest album, "Sometimes Just The Sky," is not a greatest hits endeavor or a remastered compilation. It’s not a celebration or a souvenir. It is a reimagining of a most unusual nature. It is a collection of songs written across the decades, recorded in bucolic western England at Real World Studios with the great producer Ethan Johns. Carpenter sat with new and old friends who circled together in a wooden room and made music, in real time. What we hear is precisely what was played and sung, all at once. This performance will offer limited Premium Assigned Seating tickets and General Admission tickets. Tickets are required for all patrons, including infants and toddlers.
· Sunday - , Somerset Plaza between the Boardwalk and Baltimore Ave. Enjoy viewing classic cars while listening to live music in Ocean City Maryland. OC Cruzers will display approximately 15 vehicles along Somerset Street Plaza. The owners of the vehicles will supervise and educate spectators about their older cars. Live music or DJ will be provided. Select Sundays 2:30pm to 6pm. For more information, call 410-289-7739 or visit . Music Schedule TBA.
Save the Dates:
· Aug 12
· Sep 9, 23
· Sunday - - Northside Park. Sundaes in the Park is the ultimate free family event in Ocean City Maryland. Outdoor live music, children's activities, ice cream and fireworks provided every Sunday from 7pm - 9pm during the summer. Fireworks start at 9pm. What could be better?
Bring your picnic basket and beach chairs to Northside Park, located at 125th Street and the Bay for ice cream sundaes, live entertainment, children's activities and fireworks. All entertainment is free. Create your own ice cream sundae with delicious toppings for a small price. Listen to your musical favorites and watch the sunset over the beautiful Ocean City bay. For more information call 410-250-0125.
Summer 2018 Schedule - Save the Dates!
o July 29 - Mike Hines & The Look (high energy dance)
o August 5 - The Janitors (music for happy feel)
o August 12 - Front Page News (rock)
o August 19 - Jesse Garron's Tribute to Elvis
o August 26 - Ragdoll (Frankie Valli Tribute)
o September 2 - Triple Trail Turn (modern country)
· Monday & Friday - The Beach on 27th Street. Enjoy free movies on the beach at 27th St. in Ocean City Maryland every Monday and Friday from June 25 to August 17. Each week, a general audience movie is presented free of charge on our 16 foot projector. Bring a beach chair or blanket & enjoy the night beside the ocean. Movie starts around 8:30 p.m. For more information, call 410-250-0125.
Save the Date - Complete Season Schedule:
o July 27: Paddington 2
o July 30: A Bug's Life
o August 3: Wall-E
o August 6: Wonder
o August 10: Big Hero 6
o August 13: Sherlock Gnomes
o August 17: CoCo
· Tuesday - , On the Beach at 27th St. Family Beach Olympics are back by popular demand! Bring the whole family out for these fun-filled activities. All skill levels welcome! Activities include sand castle contests, tug-of-war, relay games and more. All activities are free! Parents are asked to stay with their children. For more information, call Denise Ortega at 410-250-0125. Tuesdays from June 26 to August 14 at 27th Street Beach from 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
· Tuesday - , On the Beach at the Caroline Street Stage. Let's Dance! Bring the family for a fun, free dance party every Tuesday from 8pm - 9:30pm during July and August on the beach at Caroline Street in Ocean City MD. Family friendly dance music will be played by local Ocean City DJs on the Caroline Street Stage, just off the Ocean City Boardwalk. Join in the crowd dancing on the beach! Bring your friends, beach chair and blanket and head to downtown Ocean City Maryland for good music and fun times.
o August 7: DJ Batman (OC's Legendary DJ)
o August 14: DJ BK (from 97.1 the Wave)
o August 21: DJ Batman (OC's Legendary DJ)
o August 28: Bitsune (European DJ Duo)
For more information, please contact the Ocean City Recreation and Park Department at 410-250-0125 or the Ocean City Visitors Cener at 800-626-2326. Please consider using public transportation as parking is limited in the downtown area.
· Two men were talking. "So, how's your sex life?"
"Oh, nothing special. I'm having Social Security sex."
"Social Security sex?"
"Yeah, you know; I get a little each month, but not enough to live on!"
· Got poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.