Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez – Don't miss tomorrow’s Roost meeting at OC 360. At the meeting, Golf Committee Chairman Marc Grimes will be presenting the 2018 Raven Roost #44 Scholar/Athlete College Scholarships to seven students from Stephen Decatur High School, Indian River High School and Worcester Prep. To be eligible for a scholarship, students must have a 3.0 GPA and participate on at least one varsity athletic team. In addition, the applicants are judged on their level of leadership, community service, awards and volunteerism. The students and their families will be in attendance. It’s a real special meeting.
The scholarships are raised by our Annual Scholarship Golf Tournament that was held June 1st at the Ocean Pines Golf Course. With these 7 scholarships, Raven Roost #44 has raised over $170,000 since the beginning of the tournament. Each year, a committee of dedicated Roost members help raise money by soliciting donations from local restaurants, hotels, bars and other businesses. I want to thank all the Golf Committee members who work so hard to make this such a successful event.
On May 23rd, I was privileged to announce three winners of Roost #44 scholarships at a very special event at Stephen Decatur High School. It is an annual meeting where scholarships are announced to graduating seniors who applied for college scholarships from dozens and dozens of local businesses and nonprofit groups like the Roost. It is really an uplifting event that both shows the generosity of our community and the level of excellence of our standout graduating seniors.
Remember that your Roost Membership card entitles you to a 20% discount on food, beverage & apparel purchases at the Original Greene Turtle (116th St.). We encourage all Roost members and committees to patronize the Original Greene Turtle!
Remember that we collect plastic grocery bags at every Roost meeting. These bags are used by Diakonia (Local Food Bank & Homeless Shelter) to distribute food contributions to the needy. My white Ford pickup truck is parked in front of OC 360 at every Roost meeting. Simply put your plastic bags (tied up tightly) in the bed of the truck. This is a great way to recycle plastic bags for a good cause.
· Dates to Remember:
o Thursday – Monthly meeting @ OC 360, 7:30pm.
o July 12 – Monthly meeting @ OC 360, 7:30pm.
o July 14 – Summer Picnic @ White Horse Park. Details soon!
o July 19 – Shorebirds Game
· Membership: Thank you everyone for paying your yearly dues. I am still accepting dues. Susan White, 32612 Falling Point Road, Dagsboro Delaware 19939.
· Road Trip: Bus Trip to Charlotte: We are still looking for members to sign up for Charlotte trip. For those of you who went with us in 2010, remember how much fun we had? Let's do it again! Trip is $1050 per couple, this includes bus to and from Charlotte, hotel with full breakfast and 2 game tickets, but we need more people. Without bus, it will be approx. $750 per couple for game day tickets and 3 nights stay with full breakfast at Doubletree Uptown. This is the same hotel we used last trip to Charlotte and was close to stadium and bars. My # is 410.627.7697 call or text, or email .
· Apparel: 20th Anniversary Gear in Stock! There a few 20th Anniversary T shirts, Hoodies and Long Sleeve Shirts available in three colors - Black, Purple and Gray. Call me at if you're interested. Thanks, Eric.
· Scholarship Golf Tournament: Ravens Roost #44 will be awarding $14,200 in scholarships to area high school 2018 graduates at the June 14th meeting.
o Tentative Entertainment Schedule 2018
§ July 14 – Annual Picnic
§ July 19 – Shorebirds Game - Shorebirds Event Thursday evening 7/19/18: $28pp (includes 2 hr. buffet, table/chair seating, giveaway visor & $2 pint cans)
We now have 35 members and guests signed up + 2 others (bus drivers) that we pay only for food. All have paid except 2 which must be paid at the June meeting. That is the deadline date as the tickets will be ordered this Friday. The tickets will be distributed at the July meeting or possibly at the picnic if I have them in time. Any one not at either place and not going by the bus must make other arrangements by contacting me at 302-436-4790 or email@example.com. Tickets can be picked up at the bus but will not be handed out at the game except for being left for them at the WILL CALL window. Have ID for that; everyone on the bus will be going directly inside when we get there.
There are 22 bus riders. The round trip cost will be $10pp. You can pay Ron cash only at the June or July Roost Meeting or at the bus before we leave at 5:30pm on game nite. The yellow school bus (with a/c) will be behind Montego Bay SC. Do not forget to bring your game tickets to the bus that nite !
§ September 29 – Crab Feast
§ November ? – Harrington Bus Trip
§ December 7 – Christmas Party
o Potential Activities Under Discussion
§ Bus Trip to Canton
§ Duckaneer Cruise
§ Pub Crawl Kent Island
§ Eastern Shore Ghost Bus Tour
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but I do go Jamison Hensley’s Blog here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· All the best Orioles news notes and nuggets at Britt's Bird Watch here.
· Now thru Labor Day - - Lasers, lights, video, music and special effects, The Beach at North Division Street. Returning to Ocean City this summer is the fun and exciting free event for the entire family, OC Beach Lights Spectacular!
Beach Lights will begin Memorial Day weekend and run nightly through Labor Day from 9pm to 11pm. Special 3-minute displays at 9:00pm, 9:20pm, 9:40pm, 10:00pm, 10:20pm, 10:40pm, and 11:00pm.
This lighting attraction features high-powered searchlights that accent the sky and surrounding area around N. Division Street and the Boardwalk. Searchlights move and sway, creating a dance of light to musical selections played through boardwalk speakers. The lights change into a variety of colors, bathing the surrounding beachscape and boardwalk in vibrant colors.
· Tonight - - Carousel Resort Hotel and Condominiums. Enjoy free movies on the beach in Ocean City Maryland every Wednesday from June 6 to August 29 at the Carousel Hotel on 117th St. in Ocean City MD. Each week, a general audience movie is presented free of charge on our 16 foot projector. Bring a beach chair or blanket & enjoy the night beside the ocean. Movie starts at dusk. For more information, call 800-626-2326.
Save the Date - Complete Season Schedule:
o June 13: Frozen
o June 20: Despicable Me 3
o June 27: Paddington 2
o July 11: Nut Job 2, Nutty By Nature
o July 18: CoCo
o July 25: The Lego Ninjango Movie
o August 1: Leap
o August 8: Justice League
o August 15: Cars 3
o August 22: Moana
o August 29: Wonder Woman
· Friday -At the Freeman Stage at Bayside - The Wailers. The legendary Wailers band returns to bring its revolutionary sound to fans around the world. Steered by famed bassist and founder Aston “Familyman” Barrett, and joined in solidarity with original Wailers’ guitarists Junior Marvin and Donald Kinsey, along with Aston Barrett Jr. on drums; lead singer Joshua David Barrett; singers Shema McGregor and Hassanah; veterans Owen “Dreadie” Reid on guitar/bass and Noel Davey on keyboards, the Wailers continue to make musical history. 7:30pm.
Tickets required for all patrons, including infants and toddlers. No re-entry permitted.
This performance will feature standing room only in front of the stage and BYOC seating in the rear of the venue. Upgrade your experience to our limited VIP premium assigned seating on raised platforms to the left and right of the stage. We will also utilize a large LED screen during this performance as an enhanced viewing option for patrons.
· Saturday – At the Freeman Stage at Bayside - The Midtown Men — 4 Stars From the Original Cast of Jersey Boys. The Midtown Men reunites stars from the smash Broadway hit musical, "Jersey Boys: The Story of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons." Formed in 2010, the popular vocal group has been widely praised for their signature renditions of the greatest rock 'n' roll songs of the 1960s. Together, they have played over 700 concerts worldwide, and have headlined alongside over 30 symphonies including The Boston Pops and The National Symphony. Featuring stories and songs, their acclaimed concert features classic tunes originated by The Four Seasons, The Beatles, and more! Their debut album, "The Midtown Men: Sixties Hits," was met with critical acclaim and garnered 5-star album reviews across iTunes. A follow-up live album and concert film, "Meet The Midtown Men," has enjoyed multiple runs on Public Television nationwide and their holiday single, "All Alone On Christmas," plays yearly across radio airwaves. 7pm.
Children age 12 & under are granted free entry to this performance. BYOC- Bring Your Own Chair.
· Saturday thru next Friday - Maryland State Firemen's Convention and Parade - Convention for the Maryland Fire Rescue Service, 15th St. & Baltimore Ave. to 32nd St. Annual meeting, exhibits, training opportunities, and seminars are available. The public is invited to come in and meet the firemen and see exhibits Monday thru Wednesday. The Memorial Service is Sunday at 7pm. Opening Ceremony is Monday at 8:30am. The Exhibits are open Monday and Tuesday 9am-4pm and Wednesday 9am to noon. The Annual Parade is Wednesday at 1 pm. Equipment, bands, & floats (approx. 3 hours). For more information, visit www.msfa.org.
· Saturday & Sunday - Ocean City Air Show - Celebrating Our 11th Anniversary, On the Beach & Boardwalk; Show Center is 16th St. Celebrating it's 11th Anniversary, the OC Air Show returns to Ocean City in 2018 with a strong military presence headlined by the US Air Force Thunderbirds! Interactive simulators, exhibits and displays will be located on the streets of the boardwalk near Show Center and Inlet Parking Lot. Event is free to view throughout town and at your favorite restaurants. Or, purchase tickets for show center beach at ocairshow.com.
· Sunday - OC Cruzers Car Display - Somerset Street Plaza, Somerset Plaza between the Boardwalk and Baltimore Ave. Enjoy viewing classic cars while listening to live music in Ocean City Maryland. OC Cruzers will display approximately 15 vehicles along Somerset Street Plaza. The owners of the vehicles will supervise and educate spectators about their older cars. Live music or DJ will be provided. Select Sundays 2:30pm to 6pm. For more information, call 410-289-7739 or visit www.ocdc.org. Music Schedule TBA.
Save the Dates:
· June 3, 17
· July 15
· Aug 12
· Sep 9, 23
· Sunday - Sundaes in the Park in Ocean City MD - Northside Park. Sundaes in the Park is the ultimate free family event in Ocean City Maryland. Outdoor live music, children's activities, ice cream and fireworks provided every Sunday from 7pm - 9pm during the summer. Fireworks start at 9pm. What could be better?
Bring your picnic basket and beach chairs to Northside Park, located at 125th Street and the Bay for ice cream sundaes, live entertainment, children's activities and fireworks. All entertainment is free. Create your own ice cream sundae with delicious toppings for a small price. Listen to your musical favorites and watch the sunset over the beautiful Ocean City bay. For more information call 410-250-0125.
Summer 2018 Schedule - Save the Dates!
o June 17 - Kathie Martin & the Hot Rods (rock & roll)
o June 24 - Glass Onion Band (rock & roll dance)
o July 1 - OH BOY! (A tribute to Buddy Holly)
o July 8 - Kick it Out (Heart Tribute Show)
o July 15 - The Stickers (country rock)
o July 22 - Guys in Thin Ties (80's)
o July 29 - Mike Hines & The Look (high energy dance)
o August 5 - The Janitors (music for happy feel)
o August 12 - Front Page News (rock)
o August 19 - Jesse Garron's Tribute to Elvis
o August 26 - Ragdoll (Frankie Valli Tribute)
o September 2 - Triple Trail Turn (modern country)
· A group of kindergartners were trying to become accustomed to the first grade. The biggest hurdle they faced was that the teacher insisted on no baby talk.
"You need to use 'big people' words," she'd always remind them. She asked Chris what he had done over the weekend. "I went to visit my Nana."
"No, you went to visit your GRANDMOTHER. Use big people words!" She then asked Mitchell what he had done. "I took a ride on a choo-choo."
She said, "No, you took a ride on a TRAIN. Use big people words." She then asked Bobby what he had done. "I read a book," he replied.
"That's WONDERFUL!" the teacher said. "What book did you read?" Bobby thought about it, then puffed out his little chest with great pride and said, "Winnie the Shit."
· Got poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.