Tuesday, August 7, 2012

There's Only One Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis: A Former Teammate's Inside Scoop on the NFL's All-Time Great


Every man has stats and Ray Lewis’ are impressive, but I’m not here to focus on numbers. This is about my experience with the man, the mentor, the legend.

The one, and only, Ray Lewis.

One of the first things that ran through my mind while in the car on the way to Ravens’ training camp was...WOW! I have the opportunity to watch and learn from one of my favorite players of all time—a genuine legend of the game. I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity to study him up close and see what the man behind the scenes is really like.

Before you read any further, stop right where you are, and please, watch this video.

I’ve wanted to write this for a long time. Honestly, I’ve held back from this piece because I’m not sure I’m able to truly do justice to the man and my experiences of him. After listening to Ray speak and watching him play the game, my words may seem like docile whispers of irrelevance. But, some things in life are meant to be shared with others.

This is, perhaps, the last time I ever focus a piece exclusively on a player whom I’ve been blessed enough to witness in the flesh and as a teammate.

Sure, I’ve played in the NFL. But in my heart, I’ve only ever been a fan. Having the opportunity to play this game at the highest level of competition has been one of the greatest experiences of my entire life, even though I may write how hard and stressful it was. I’ve always loved and appreciated how rare and special those moments were. Nothing in life can test your limits and abilities like a few years in the NFL.

Raylewis_crop_exact
No one has come up on top more often, or for as long of a time, as Ray Lewis has.

As a linebacker myself, I was unbelievably honored being on the same team as the greatest interior linebacker of all time. Seeing him walk the halls of the facility, I was in awe of his presence; I couldn’t even find the courage to talk to him. Star-struck beyond belief, I was literally to the point of paralysis.

I wasn’t teammates with Ray Lewis for long. But, it doesn’t take long for a guy like Ray to leave a life-long impression on you. He is the closest thing to a football superhero I’ve ever experienced in person.
His presence is bigger than life itself. Having been around a lot of star players and celebrities in my life, I can say with significant experience, I don’t get star-struck. I always manage pretty well in the understanding we are all just humans.

And then, there’s Ray Lewis. More than a man, he is an icon.

Read the full article here.

No comments: