Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez – The next Roost Meeting has been moved to TONIGHT due to the Ravens preseason game on Thursday August 9 against the Rams in Baltimore. The Roost Meeting will be held the night before the game at OC 360 at 7:30. Please show up to help us kick off our new season. Remember you can go straight into our meeting room and order food. You don't have to go to the bar to order food and drinks.
The September Roost meeting will be moved to September 6, since the Ravens will be in Cincinnati on our normally scheduled meeting day.
Marc Grimes is stepping down as Chairman of the Golf Scholarship Committee. I would like to begin a discussion with Roost members who would like to try to continue the Roost #44 Golf Scholarship event, about whether we will continue to host this event. Whatever, we decide, every Roost member should give Marc a great big 'Thank You' for his years of building this event into one of Ocean City's major fund raising events. I personally hope we can carry on Marc's legacy and continue the tournament and the funds it generates for outstanding local graduating seniors.
Please think about stepping up to volunteer for Board and Officer positions and the Golf Scholarship Committee next year. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the responsibilities for any of these positions. or 410-598-4597.
Remember that your Roost Membership card entitles you to a 20% discount on food, beverage & apparel purchases at the Original Greene Turtle (116th St.). We encourage all Roost members and committees to patronize the Original Greene Turtle!
Remember that we collect plastic grocery bags at every Roost meeting. These bags are used by Diakonia (Local Food Bank & Homeless Shelter) to distribute food contributions to the needy. My white Ford pickup truck is parked in front of OC 360 at every Roost meeting. Simply put your plastic bags (tied up tightly) in the bed of the truck. This is a great way to recycle plastic bags for a good cause.
· Dates to Remember:
o 8/8 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 9/5 – Entertainment Meeting
o 9/6 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 9/12 – Booze Cruise
o 9/29 – Roost Crab Feast.
o 10/17 – Pizza Benefit
o 11/? – Harrington Bus Trip
o 12/7 – Roost Christmas Party
· Membership: Thank you everyone for paying your yearly dues. I am still accepting dues. Susan Berterman, 32612 Falling Point Road, Dagsboro Delaware 19939.
· Road Trip: Bus Trip to Charlotte: Trip to Charlotte finalized, all rooms are booked, tickets ordered. Panthers’ ticket office says the tickets will be ,ailed out “sometime” in August. Marian is working on securing a place to go after the game to celebrate our win. Positive thinking! Thanks, Donna.
· Apparel: 20th Anniversary Gear in Stock! There a few 20th Anniversary T shirts, Hoodies and Long Sleeve Shirts available in three colors - Black, Purple and Gray. Call me at if you're interested. Thanks, Eric.
· Ticket Exchange:
o 2 Raven PSL's in section 503 isle seats for sale, negotiable. He can be reached at 410-913-4700. (Chad Baker)
o I would like to sell the following games. Bucks vs Ravens December 16 and Browns vs Ravens December 30. There are two seats Section 101, Row 32 seats 20 and 21. Visitors side the sunny side. Asking for face value for the tickets. Must buy both. Please call Marius Ambrose at 302-947-4168.
· Penguin Swim: AGH Website is up and the OC Ravens Roost #44 Penguin Swim Team page is ready to register those wanting to join the Team. Go to "" to register and donate. See Gary at the Aug. meeting for more info.
Our Annual Bar Hop Cruise (Booze Cruise) is scheduled for Wed. Sept. 12th. $35/pp includes boat ride to 3 waterfront bars, (1st stop is the Reel Inn, 2nd stop is Sunset Grill, and 3rd stop is Mad Fish). HH prices at each, cash bar on board the boat and 5 raffle tickets for prizes at each stop. Meet at MR Ducks (HH prices till 6pm), board The Explorer at 5:45, Depart at 6pm. Return to MR Ducks about 10:15 pm. Cash or check made out to OC Ravens Roost #44. Contact Gary for tickets at or sign up at the August meeting.
Fundraising Night at the new Fox's Pizza Den in West OC (in the new SC next to Home Depot and the new Michael's) on Wednesday Oct. 17th, 4pm to 7pm. 15% of your food bill will be donated to the OC RR44 Penguin Swim Team in support of AGH.
o Tentative Entertainment Schedule 2018
§ Entertainment Committee Meeting September 5 @ the Original Greene Turtle, 12pm.
§ September 29, 12pm – 3pm – Crab Feast. Marian will have a sign-up sheet at tonight’s meeting. All you can eat crabs, fried chicken, corn on the cob, hush puppies, soft drinks, and Miller Lite and Coors Light draft. $36pp, and that includes all taxes and gratuities. Marian will be accepting checks only, no cash, made payable to Ravens Roost #44.
§ November ? – Harrington Bus Trip
§ December 7 – Christmas Party. A signup sheet will be distributed for all members who think they will attend if they do not have a conflict that prevents it. We need a head count to start planning with the venue beginning next Monday.
o Potential Activities Under Discussion
§ Bus Trip to Canton
§ Duckaneer Cruise
§ Pub Crawl Kent Island
§ Eastern Shore Ghost Bus Tour
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but I do go Jamison Hensley’s Blog here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· All the best Orioles news notes and nuggets at Britt's Bird Watch here.
· Now thru Friday - - World's Largest & Richest Billfish Tournament, Harbour Island Marina. Join us for the 45th Annual White Marlin Open from August 6 - August 10, 2018. The fish are spectacular and the prizes are huge — totaling more than $2 million. It's the World's Largest and Richest Billfish Tournament — held in the White Marlin Capital of the World. This year the stakes are high with a record crushing $4, 450,000 purse and 1,412 fish caught in 2016. Prizes are also awarded for the largest blue marlin, tuna, mahi-mahi (dolphin fish), wahoo and shark. See if you have what it takes to catch the winning white marlin and register today. Spectators are welcome to watch, as 300+ boats from Florida to New England take more than 1,500 of the world's best anglers out to pursue some of America's largest fish. Then check out the spectacular weigh-ins every evening from 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at Harbour Island Marina, 14th Street and the bay. NOTE: Parking is not available at Harbour Island. The Presbyterian Church on 14th Street, just a block away, offers parking for a small donation. You can also park free at the Ocean City Convention Center, then catch a shuttle to the weigh-ins.
· Now thru Labor Day - - Lasers, lights, video, music and special effects, The Beach at North Division Street. Returning to Ocean City this summer is the fun and exciting free event for the entire family, OC Beach Lights Spectacular!
Beach Lights will begin Memorial Day weekend and run nightly through Labor Day from 9pm to 11pm. Special 3-minute displays at 9:00pm, 9:20pm, 9:40pm, 10:00pm, 10:20pm, 10:40pm, and 11:00pm.
This lighting attraction features high-powered searchlights that accent the sky and surrounding area around N. Division Street and the Boardwalk. Searchlights move and sway, creating a dance of light to musical selections played through boardwalk speakers. The lights change into a variety of colors, bathing the surrounding beachscape and boardwalk in vibrant colors.
· Tonight - - Carousel Resort Hotel and Condominiums. Enjoy free movies on the beach in Ocean City Maryland every Wednesday from June 6 to August 29 at the Carousel Hotel on 117th St. in Ocean City MD. Each week, a general audience movie is presented free of charge on our 16 foot projector. Bring a beach chair or blanket & enjoy the night beside the ocean. Movie starts at dusk. For more information, call 800-626-2326.
Save the Date - Complete Season Schedule:
o August 8: Justice League
o August 15: Cars 3
o August 22: Moana
o August 29: Wonder Woman
· Tomorrow - , S. Division St. & the Bay. Enjoy free concerts in Ocean City Maryland in Sunset Park every Thursday in July and August from 7pm - 9pm. Sunset Park Party Nights provides a perfect outdoor setting overlooking the bay in Ocean City MD. Bring a chair and watch the sunset as you listen to great live music. Sunset Park is located along South Division Street between Philadelphia Avenue and the Bay, next to the US Coast Guard Station in downtown Ocean City MD. All concert admissions and parking are free and open to the public. Beverages, including beer, are available for purchase. Please bring your own chair.
o Aug 9 - Lower Case Blues (Blues / Rock)
o Aug 16 - Tranzfusion (Classic Rock)
o Aug 23 - The Beach Bumz (Tropical Rock)
o Aug 30 - The Swell Fellas (R&B / Funk / Soul)
For more information, call 410-289-7739.
· Tomorrow - , Ocean Pines Association Inc
o Aug 9 – Full Circle
o Aug 16 – Prime Time
o Aug 23 – Opposite Directions
Bring lawn chairs and the whole family for an evening of music in White Horse Park. BYOB allowed. Concessions will be available. Concerts are children friendly: there is a playground right at the park! Free Admission!
· Tomorrow – Freeman Stage @ Bayside - O.A.R. – Just Like Paradise Tour, $55-$95, 5:15pm. PERFORMING WITH SPECIAL GUEST MATT NATHANSON! O.A.R. first began to develop their unique sound while in high school in Rockville, Md. With three albums under their belt before they finished college, the band began pursuing their musical dreams full time in the summer of 2001. By the end of 2008, the band had released six studio albums and three live double disc CDs. To date O.A.R. has sold close to 2 million albums and more than 2 million concert tickets, including two sold-out shows at New York City's Madison Square Garden and Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado. In 2011, the band released the album, "King," which was the follow-up to the band’s 2008 release, "All Sides," which contains the platinum hit single “Shattered.” The band’s album, "The Rockville LP," debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Independent Albums chart and No. 6 on the Top Current Rock Albums chart. The album features the songs “Favorite Song,” “Two Hands Up” and smash hit, “Peace.” 2016 marked the band’s 20th anniversary with the release of their new album, "XX;" a career-spanning collection that shines a light on key moments from the band’s illustrious career and features two new songs including the new single “I Go Through” which was written and recorded as the cameras rolled during the captivating six-part docu-series Evolution of a Song. O.A.R. kicked off 2018 with the release of a new single “Just Like Paradise,” and the announcement of a national summer tour with special guest Matt Nathanson. Based in San Francisco, Matt Nathanson is a highly applauded songwriter and engaging performer. His 2007 album, "Some Mad Hope," introduced the breakthrough, multi-platinum hit “Come on Get Higher.” His 2013 release, "Last of The Great Pretenders," debuted at No. 16 on the Billboard Top 200 and hit No. 1 on iTunes’ Alternative Albums chart. Nathanson’s latest album, 2015’s "Show Me Your Fangs," is hailed as his most adventurous and prolific album to date, featuring the songs, “Giants,” “Bill Murray” and “Adrenaline.” The New Respects will be the opening act for this performance. Gates open at 5:00 pm for this performance. Tickets required for all patrons, including infants and toddlers. No re-entry permitted. Seats are provided in assigned seating section. Seats are not provided or permitted in Standing Room Only section.
· Friday – Freeman Stage @ Bayside – Cheap Trick, $40-$55, 7pm. With special guest Lauren Glick and Dave Tarlecki! Cheap Trick is part of the very fiber of American music, inspiring and delighting generations with their unique union of massive melodies and razorblade riffs, their own special brand of mischievous wit and maximum rock 'n’ roll. Frontlined since 1974 by Robin Zander (vocals, rhythm guitar), Rick Nielsen (lead guitar), and Tom Petersson (bass guitar), the Rockford, Illinois-born band continues to impact new generations. Fast approaching their fifth decade, Cheap Trick is among the most active and successful in music history, with featured appearances on over 20 movie soundtracks, more than 40 international gold and platinum certifications, myriad awards and industry honors, and total record sales well in excess of 20 million. In 2016, the band, best known for its hits "I Want You to Want Me" and "Surrender," was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Tickets required for all patrons, including infants and toddlers. No re-entry permitted. Seats are provided in assigned seating section. Seats are not provided or permitted in Standing Room Only section.
· Saturday - , Under Armour Golf Tour. Eagle's Landing Golf Course. Ocean City's own Eagle's Landing Golf Course will host one of the Regional Qualifiers for players seeking to participate in the National Championship Tournament sponsored by Under Armour. Regional entry fee is $150 per player, includes range balls, greens fees, cart fee, and a $65 Under Armour golf shirt. 2:00pm Shotgun start. Players can sign up at .
· Saturday – Freeman Stage @ Bayside – An Evening with Vince Gill, $50-$90, 7:30pm. One of the most popular singers in modern country music, Vince Gill is famous for his top-notch songwriting, world-class guitar playing and warm, soaring tenor, all wrapped up in a quick and easy wit. Gill achieved his big breakthrough in 1990 with “When I Call Your Name,” which won both the Country Music Association’s Single and Song of the Year award as well as a Grammy. Since then, he has won 17 more CMA honors, including Song of the Year four times – making him the most-awarded artist in that category in CMA history. Since 1990, Gill has won 20 GRAMMY Awards. The Academy of Country Music has conferred on Gill eight awards, including its prestigious Home Depot Humanitarian Award and the 2011 Career Achievement Award. Gill was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2007. He is also a member of the Grand Ole Opry. In August 2012, Gill was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He is a member of the four-time Grammy-nominated band The Time Jumpers. Tickets required for all patrons, including infants and toddlers. No re-entry permitted. Seats are provided in assigned seating section. Seats are not provided or permitted in Standing Room Only section.
· Sunday - , Somerset Plaza between the Boardwalk and Baltimore Ave. Enjoy viewing classic cars while listening to live music in Ocean City Maryland. OC Cruzers will display approximately 15 vehicles along Somerset Street Plaza. The owners of the vehicles will supervise and educate spectators about their older cars. Live music or DJ will be provided. Select Sundays 2:30pm to 6pm. For more information, call 410-289-7739 or visit . Music Schedule TBA.
Save the Dates:
· Aug 12
· Sep 9, 23
· Sunday - - Northside Park. Sundaes in the Park is the ultimate free family event in Ocean City Maryland. Outdoor live music, children's activities, ice cream and fireworks provided every Sunday from 7pm - 9pm during the summer. Fireworks start at 9pm. What could be better?
Bring your picnic basket and beach chairs to Northside Park, located at 125th Street and the Bay for ice cream sundaes, live entertainment, children's activities and fireworks. All entertainment is free. Create your own ice cream sundae with delicious toppings for a small price. Listen to your musical favorites and watch the sunset over the beautiful Ocean City bay. For more information call 410-250-0125.
Summer 2018 Schedule - Save the Dates!
o August 12 - Front Page News (rock)
o August 19 - Jesse Garron's Tribute to Elvis
o August 26 - Ragdoll (Frankie Valli Tribute)
o September 2 - Triple Trail Turn (modern country)
· Monday & Friday - The Beach on 27th Street. Enjoy free movies on the beach at 27th St. in Ocean City Maryland every Monday and Friday from June 25 to August 17. Each week, a general audience movie is presented free of charge on our 16 foot projector. Bring a beach chair or blanket & enjoy the night beside the ocean. Movie starts around 8:30 p.m. For more information, call 410-250-0125.
Save the Date - Complete Season Schedule:
o August 10: Big Hero 6
o August 13: Sherlock Gnomes
o August 17: CoCo
· Tuesday - , On the Beach at 27th St. Family Beach Olympics are back by popular demand! Bring the whole family out for these fun-filled activities. All skill levels welcome! Activities include sand castle contests, tug-of-war, relay games and more. All activities are free! Parents are asked to stay with their children. For more information, call Denise Ortega at 410-250-0125. Tuesdays from June 26 to August 14 at 27th Street Beach from 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
· Tuesday - , On the Beach at the Caroline Street Stage. Let's Dance! Bring the family for a fun, free dance party every Tuesday from 8pm - 9:30pm during July and August on the beach at Caroline Street in Ocean City MD. Family friendly dance music will be played by local Ocean City DJs on the Caroline Street Stage, just off the Ocean City Boardwalk. Join in the crowd dancing on the beach! Bring your friends, beach chair and blanket and head to downtown Ocean City Maryland for good music and fun times.
o August 14: DJ BK (from 97.1 the Wave)
o August 21: DJ Batman (OC's Legendary DJ)
o August 28: Bitsune (European DJ Duo)
For more information, please contact the Ocean City Recreation and Park Department at 410-250-0125 or the Ocean City Visitors Cener at 800-626-2326. Please consider using public transportation as parking is limited in the downtown area.
· A Congressman was once asked about his attitude toward whiskey. "If you mean the demon drink that poisons the mind, pollutes the body, desecrates family life, and inflames sinners, then I'm against it.
But if you mean the elixir of Christmas cheer, the shield against winter chill, the taxable potion that puts needed funds into public coffers to comfort little crippled children, then I'm for it. This is my position, and I will not compromise."
· Got poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.
· Congrats go out to members Krista and Thomas Kaiser who welcomed their first child into the world on July 30. According to Krista, “Our son, Karl was born on 7/30/18. Although he made us miss our trip to Canton to see Ray’s induction, we are so in love!!” Best wishes to the Kaisers and our newest Ravens fan!