Roost #44 Poop
· From the Prez –
The Council of Raven Roosts held its annual Polar Bear Plunge for Special Olympics at Sandy Point Park on Saturday, Saturday 25. The Roost makes an annual donation to the Plunge since our members don’t normally participate.
As usual, the Roost has also purchased 2 tickets to the Council Bull Roast in Baltimore. This is the Council’s main annual fundraising event. The event is February 8th at Martins West in Baltimore. Our two tickets will be available to the first two Roost members on a first come, first served basis. Text me at 410-598-4597 if you’re interested.
Next Roost meeting February 13th at American Legion Hall located between 23 @ 24 Streets. You MUST enter at the side entrance on 24th St. side. The front entrance is for American Legion members only. The new officers and Board member will be sworn in at the meeting. Details on the St. Paddy’s Day Parade on March 14th will be discussed too.
· Dates to Remember:
o 2/13/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 3/12/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 3/14/2020 – St. Paddy’s Day Parade
o 4/8/2020 – Entertainment Committee Meeting
o 4/9/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 5/14/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 5/28-5/31/2020 – Council Convention
o 5/29/2020 – Scholarship Golf Tournament
o 5/30/2020 – Convention Parade
o 6/11/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 7/9/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 8/13/2020 – Monthly Roost Meeting
o 10/31/2020 – Bull/Oyster Roast
o 12/12/2020 – Christmas Party
· Membership: I am now accepting 2020 dues. Still $30 - Cheap! - Please pay at the meeting or mail your dues to: Susan Berterman, 12290 Dixie Drive, Bishopville, MD, 21813
· Wellness: Please call Marian Cicero @ 410.250.2501 or 443.880.0862 if you know of a Roost member in need of a message of encouragement or a sympathy card for a family member. Please, no texts or emails.
· House: The February and March Meeting will be held @ the Ocean City American Legion, 2308 Philadelphia Ave, Ocean City, MD 21842. Please enter from the 23rd street side of the building.
Apparel: The on-line store is once again open, now until January 31, 2020 with delivery in February. https://ravensroost44.itemorder.com/sale
· Parade: 41st Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Saturday March 14, 2020, Ocean City, Maryland. St. Patrick's Day Parade begins at 60th Street and Parades South to the 45th Street Judging Stand and into the parking lot where the Irish Festival takes place. Starting Promptly at 12 Noon. All are welcome to march, please see sign-up sheet at the next meeting. As usual, we meet in the Beach Copy (59th Street) parking lot around 10am for a little pre-parade tailgating. Reminder, no parking is available at Beach Copy. After the parade, marchers are welcome back to upstairs at the Original Greene Turtle for continued festivities. The Roost provides some food for all registered marchers, you buy your drinks.
o Entertainment meeting will resume 4/8 since some of committee will be away. Christmas party booked for 12/12 from 6 to 10. Upcoming are Duckaneer Pirate ship mid-August, trip to. Tangier Island, hopefully away trip to Houston depending on date, pub crawl on Kent Island in May, crab feast in October and a bull/oyster roast/ Halloween party on 10/31, Capitols game in fall. We'll keep all posted on dates. Carol Monroe will discuss at next meeting. Thanks, and have a good winter.
o Entertainment Schedule 2020:
§ 10/31 – Bull/Oyster Roast
§ 12/12 – Christmas Party
· Good daily dose of Ravens news notes and nuggets here. It’s getting to the point where I can hardly stand ESPN, but you can go here to stay up to date with all of the AFC North news.
· Out and about and can’t watch the game? You can listen to the Ravens on the radio! (I know, right?) Go here: https://www.baltimoreravens.com/game-day/coverage for the list of affiliates.
· Follow all the Orioles news on MASN here from columnist Roch Kubatko.
· Sunday - Superbowl Sunday Scramble. Eagle’s Landing offers the opportunity for golfers to enjoy a fun and competitive round of golf prior to one of the greatest sporting events of the year, the Super Bowl. This is a very popular event for locals and visitors alike and sells out each year.
The event is a 4-player scramble with a unique scoring format. The team consists of a Coach, Quarterback, Running Back and Wide Receiver. Teams score points in the following manner: Touchdown (eagle) 6 points, Field Goal (birdie) 3 points, Extra Point (par) 1 point and Safety (bogey) –2 points. 30% of the “A” player’s handicap is the team offense.
Schedule: Tailgate Party at 9 AM (breakfast/brunch). Kick Off is at 10 AM (shotgun start). Also included is “Throw the Bomb” on the third hole and Melanie’s Blitz Soup served at half time.
Ticket Price: $60 per golfer includes green fees, cart and tailgate party. Prizes will be awarded for winning teams. Call the Golf Shop (410) 213-7277 or Email email@example.com to sign up.
· A tough old cowboy from Texas counseled his granddaughter that if she wanted to live a long life, the secret was to sprinkle a pinch of gun powder on her oatmeal every morning.
The granddaughter did this religiously until the age of 103, when she died.
She left behind 14 children, 30 grandchildren, 45 great-grandchildren, 25 great-great-grandchildren, and a 40-foot hole where the crematorium used to be.
· During the service, the pastor asked if anyone in the congregation would like to express praise for prayers, which had been answered. A lady stood up and came forward.
She said, ‘I have a reason to thank the Lord. Two months ago, my husband Jim, had a terrible bicycle wreck and his scrotum was completely crushed. The pain was excruciating, and the doctors didn’t know if they could help him.’
You could hear an audible gasp from the men in the congregation as they imagined the pain that poor Jim experienced.
She continued, ‘Jim was unable to hold me, or the children, and every move caused him terrible pain. We prayed as the doctors performed a delicate operation. They were able to piece together the crushed remnants of Jim’s scrotum and wrap wire around it to hold it in place.’
Again, the men in the congregation squirmed uncomfortably as they imagined the horrible surgery performed on Jim.
She continued, ‘Now, Jim is out of the hospital and the doctors say, with time, his scrotum should recover completely.’ All the men sighed with relief.
The pastor rose and tentatively asked if anyone else had anything to say.
A man stood up and walked slowly to the podium.
He said, “I’m Jim.” The entire congregation held its breath.
“I just want to tell my beautiful wife again; the word is sternum.”
· Got Poop? Let me know! I’m going to try to get this out every Wednesday so if you get it to me by Tuesday, I’ll try to include it. Your input is appreciated.
· Our website is up and running. Be sure to bookmark our address - www.OCRavensRoost44.com or go to our blog @ http://ravensroost44.blogspot.com/ for the latest news, notes and nuggets.
· Life is short. Focus on the good.